4 Speed - Parts and Mods.??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pics are what was labeled as a 1975 4 speed. According to schematics I have seen posted here linkage seems correct except for the “pivot pin” in bottom right side of pics. My goal is to source the missing linkage needed to shift. I think I am missing parts whether 74 style or 75 style. Any tips from the experts?

When I can get back to my computer will find the specs. being referenced and attach. If you beat me to it, saw a thread that had exploded view of a 74 and 75 next to one another.

Have also read that an FJ60 4 speed top plate and shifter can be swapped in to help keep the shifter out of heater when converting to V8. Is there a year range for this shifter or is it any? If anybody has one to offer or links, please PM with pics and pricing?
Thank you

13912982-448B-4F54-AB1D-34C8F51EF7AD.jpeg

F4D24231-6D76-48B4-AB0A-AB8232FDF4D1.jpeg

B642287E-087A-47B5-896A-11951A1EEE78.jpeg

What you have is a hybrid shifter. Here are pictures of what I found on my 3/79 that I found out had a 74 transfer case.
IMG_20180713_111848498.jpg
IMG_20180713_111828225.jpg
IMG_20180713_112407912.jpg

The pieces you have that go thru the hump and engage 4WD are 4/75-7/80. The piece on the vertical shaft look to be off the bellhousing used on column high low shifter. The lever on top of the transfer case points to the right side. With the 4/75 and later points forward. Difference on my the piece on the shaft is correct for the earlier style. They are offset on different levels. Also have the the other short rods needed. Since yours is out I would source the correct lever and piece it attaches too that point the lever forward. Then just need the correct missing rod.

Thanks Living in the Past.
Are you saying the shift linkage has incorrect parts and/or been "cobbled" together? OR does the t-case lever pointing right mean that the case itself HAS to be from an earlier year?
Do you have some or all of the linkage components that I am missing? If yes, can you post pics and pricing or PM if preferred?

I am still looking for the diagrams that I was using as a reference prior to purchasing this unit, borrowed SOR reference until I find the others.

As I am typing this, I am trying to figure out if I have two options to get these components mated together or IF there is ONLY one? (Option # 1 seems most correct)???
1.) If I change the Hi/Lo lever (inner/ outer), I think this would allow me to keep the remainder of the parts already installed. This would bypass the "pivot pin", not sure if this can be removed or not.
2.) This option keeps the existing Hi/Lo lever (inner/ outer) and "pivot pin" BUT would need correct pivot connection plus linkage on each side. What I do not know is if the floor shift lever itself would need to change also?

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 10.15.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 10.16.27 PM.png

Hello Living in the Past,
Looking for some feedback, Any chance you can try to review this weekend?
Thank you

Couple more reference photos of a 4 speed 74 version for you to matchup to your diagram. I can’t help on the newer though.
009E7BA6-E0A7-4902-A277-DF4FAEFD8B90.jpeg
5A7B9E7C-C835-48AB-8793-D474C7FCA1C6.jpeg

Pics are what was labeled as a 1975 4 speed. According to schematics I have seen posted here linkage seems correct except for the “pivot pin” in bottom right side of pics. My goal is to source the missing linkage needed to shift. I think I am missing parts whether 74 style or 75 style. Any tips from the experts?

When I can get back to my computer will find the specs. being referenced and attach. If you beat me to it, saw a thread that had exploded view of a 74 and 75 next to one another.

Have also read that an FJ60 4 speed top plate and shifter can be swapped in to help keep the shifter out of heater when converting to V8. Is there a year range for this shifter or is it any? If anybody has one to offer or links, please PM with pics and pricing?
Thank you

View attachment 3272387

View attachment 3272388

View attachment 3272389

do your 2 shift tower . can dowel pins NOW and don't think twice , never look back either ...

the SOR stainless steel kit the ONLY way i roll for life ...

PICT1535.JPG
PICT1537.JPG
PICT1538.JPG
PICT1539.JPG
PICT1540.JPG
PICT1547.JPG
PICT1549.JPG
PICT1557.JPG

Hello Living in the Past,
Looking for some feedback, Any chance you can try to review this weekend?
Thank you

Not sure what's needs to be reviewed. It simply looks like you either have a transfer case from a three speed or one that was from a early four speed up to 4/75. Since the setup is not installed I would locate parts 45 and 64 in the diagram. Use either the associated parts off you old setup or get those as well. I do not have those parts available. I bought those used here on Mud for my 3/79 that has the hybrid setup. Even thought my hybrid setup works will go to the correct setup. since mine has a early four speed will use a later tater correct transfer case. The three speed is geared lower in low range but gears are narrower and tend to be noiser. Early four speed transfer case is gear like the later four speed transfer case. Those only gear used in low range are wider. I only have one complete transfer case that is newer than 4/75. The rest are earlier or 8/80+ split transfer cases.

April 76 FJ40, just took the transmission and transfer out. The linkage seems to work ok.
525150D2-FBEE-4FE9-BB0E-461D475F9160.jpeg

0E12BA53-BCE9-4C31-BDD3-04F6408D1EF1.jpeg

A Short video

April 76 FJ40, just took the transmission and transfer out. The linkage seems to work ok.
View attachment 3309950
View attachment 3309957
A Short video

Look at the transfer case in the first post. The high neutral low lever on top of the transfer case points to the side. Yours points to the front. Yours is a stock setup that started 4/75. The lever thru the floor and lever to switch between 2WD and 4WD in the first post are 4/75+ style. The rest is earlier style making it a hybrid like what I found in my 79.

Exactly what Living in the Past said. I just discovered this hours ago being in the exact situation and made a swap.
I took the pics to make another thread but just found yours. What a coincidence.
This will make it look just like in the pic that South Texas 97 posted.

Lever Flats.jpg

Lever Switch.jpg

And if you can’t find the right lever post that is turned 90 degrees, you may be able to grind the weld, rotate and re-weld.

LeverWeld 1.jpg

LeverWeld 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom