4 speed (or 3 speed) tcase on ‘84 h42 from a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone help me figure out if an h42 from an ‘84 fj60 will mount to a 4 speed tcase from a late 70s fj40? I’d also be interested to know if there’s a way to mount the h42 to a 3 speed case too. The shaft out of the h42 is a little over 6” long, see pic.

Thanks guys!

Mike

IMG_3469.jpeg

Can someone help me figure out if an h42 from an ‘84 fj60 will mount to a 4 speed tcase from a late 70s fj40? I’d also be interested to know if there’s a way to mount the h42 to a 3 speed case too. The shaft out of the h42 is a little over 6” long, see pic.

Thanks guys!

Mike

View attachment 3316151
Did you count the splines on output shaft of trans and input gear of tcase? If not, start there, then report back.

I would have done that except that I don’t have the tranny. I’m considering a purchase to Nate that tranny with tcases that I own. Simply hoping someone had experience with mating the two.

Cheers,
Mike

That will not work for you

I’d also be interested to know if there’s a way to mount the h42 to a 3 speed case too.

I’m just now finishing up mating an H42 to a 3-spd T-case. You’ll need swap out a few things in the 3-spd T-case. Some can come from a 4-spd T-case and a few you’ll have to buy like a “transition gear” that replaces the 3-speed T-case input gear and a new input bearing & seal.

Some say the small amount of lower gear ratio isn’t worth the trouble but I’m looking for anything I can get, and I had the 3-spd T-case on hand anyway so I did it.
Hope to try it out soon.

Stab.jpg

This is what I’ve got too. I’ve got a rebuilt 4 speed case and two 3 speed cases. I’m considering getting rid of the 3 speed out of my 45 when I put in a rebuilt f engine.

This is what I’ve got too. I’ve got a rebuilt 4 speed case and two 3 speed cases. I’m considering getting rid of the 3 speed out of my 45 when I put in a rebuilt f engine.
That FJ60 h42 is 19 spline output shaft. 4spd single piece tcase is 16 spline and 3spd single piece tcase is 10 spline. As Steamer mentioned, there are adapter input gears for the 3spd case that have 16 splines allowing mate up to a 16 spline h42. Your only reasonable option with that 19 spline h42 is a splitcase.

Gotcha. Very helpful. I’m getting a spline count from the owner soon. Guess it’s a no go if it’s 19 then, ie no adapter gears are available???

For the record there are a few H41 four speeds out there with 10 spline output shafts. The 16 spline 29 teeth transition gear is a stock gear used from 9/73 when the H42 originally started in some markets until 4/75. Was thought to have the same gearing as the three speed but that is not the case. Have have not found a four speed transfer case that had the same low range as the three transfer case. Sad part is H42 four speed has the same transfer gear as the H41. The H41 is around 4.99:1 first gear while the H42 is 3.55:1 first gear. The higher first gear in the H42 with three speed transfer offers noo more low gear than the H41 with four speed transfer case gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom