4" Slee Lift questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
TLDR: Can I install all the components of the 4" Slee lift, drive it on road long distance no problems, and then put the coils on later?

So I've been planning on getting the 4" Slee lift and install it down at my parents house in Albuquerque on my spring break next week since I don't have a good place in my apartment parking lot. First problem, they don't have the front springs until next week sometime, but have everything else. So can I pick up everything here in Denver, drive down next week and install what I can, then drive back up at pick up the front springs? I'm certain I can do at least the coils myself, that seems like the easy part.

Do you have any lift on it right now?

As long as you put on the bumpstop spacers to stop the shocks over compressing you should be ok, although you'll limit the upstroke of the spring by 2" so you'll probably hit the bumpstops quite a bit. Don't carry too much weight in the truck.

Don't fit the castor correction bushings/plates until you fit the springs.

The question is why? Just fit the lot in one go

I wouldn't do it, understanding your predicament in not having a good wrenching spot. The shocks will have too little up travel and may get damaged, you won't be able to align the panhards and will have to redo the adjustment unless you get lucky, and the the caster correction will likely cause problems with the front driveshaft. I wouldn't want to drive any distance like that.

Hop on Rising Sun and meet some of your local cruiserheads - an offer of pizza and beer often leads to a lift party at a good location plus a much quicker job once you have the full kit.

I wouldn't do it, understanding your predicament in not having a good wrenching spot. The shocks will have too little up travel and may get damaged, you won't be able to align the panhards and will have to redo the adjustment unless you get lucky, and the the caster correction will likely cause problems with the front driveshaft. I wouldn't want to drive any distance like that.

Hop on Rising Sun and meet some of your local cruiserheads - an offer of pizza and beer often leads to a lift party at a good location plus a much quicker job once you have the full kit.

Yeah, I think I've come to that conclusion. Thanks for the answers, I'll throw some more options around, but wait until I get the springs before anything else.

I would install everything but the springs, front or rear. It has been documented that L shocks will not bottom out on the front even without bumpstop spacers, so those could also be installed with the front springs. The rear MAY need the bumpstop spacers to keep from over compressing the shock.

Edit: Nay is probably right with the driveshaft being put in a bind due to the caster, you could run it in 2WD with the front shaft removed to band-aid this. I've never thought adjusting panhards was difficult on new parts, so I would install them at factory length then adjust once you have the springs installed.

Reddit much?

Haha yes... good way to get lots of news fast.

I would install everything but the springs, front or rear. It has been documented that L shocks will not bottom out on the front even without bumpstop spacers, so those could also be installed with the front springs. The rear MAY need the bumpstop spacers to keep from over compressing the shock.

Edit: Nay is probably right with the driveshaft being put in a bind due to the caster, you could run it in 2WD with the front shaft removed to band-aid this. I've never thought adjusting panhards was difficult on new parts, so I would install them at factory length then adjust once you have the springs installed.

I forgot about the caster when first thinking about it, my main concern at the time was the shocks. I think I'm just going to delay the timing until a later time when I get everything in. I've got some options for a garage here, but not as convenient.

Slee 4" fronts

I am waiting too. I have a 2.5 OME and 1 inch spacers in now. I want to pull them as I have sold them. One more week! I have everything else. I mean everything! Ouch.. My wallet just bit me!?! I guess it is hungry for money, too bad I spent it all. Really is sad that the Aussies had such a rough go with the floods.
Thanks for the info to all. I had been wanting to scratch the same itch. :hmm: Tic Tock!

Last edited:
Nay's right...put out an offer for free beer/pizza & it'll be a snap, especially with people around you who have already done lifts - plus the extra hands when tightening the front upper shock nut will really help.

Like others have said - you could install the parts, but you really dont gain much if anything over doing everything in 1 shot.

Did you get the panhards & upper rear arms as turn-key or did you buy the weld-in version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom