4 Season Climate - Supercharger vs. Turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
Having recently left the desert of Phoenix (where the supercharger was discouraged by those in the know and nudging me towards a turbo instead) and fleeing to Eastern Tennessee (with milder weather and 4 seasons), I wanted to revisit the supercharger dream.

From those who are living the SC dream on the East Coast, is it still a PITA to deal with engine compartment heat soak and engine cooling issues? Should I maintain my lean towards a turbo solution or revisit the SC?

Either solution could be a reality in the next 6 months.

Turbo. Always.

Elevation changes are the biggest reason.

And cool snails.

If temperatures are the main concern, I would lean towards turbo because of the variety and comparative ease of cooling options (AW, AA intercooling, meth, water injection), all of which can feasibly be done on a SC truck, but with greater difficulty.

If all other things are a a concern, I would still lean towards turbo. Better overall power potential, consistent performance at varying altitudes, inherently more efficient design.

Yes, I'm a little biased. I like SC cruisers (and 4runners) too, but turbo is just better overall IMO.

Been supercharged for 4 years and intercooled too for the last year and a half. My rig isn’t stock at all though so it’s not a great comparison. I’m running an electric fan and ARH headers routed inside the frame. Hood is vented on the left and right with rod louvers vents. Heat definitely moves out those vents. I have no issues running up through Shell Canyon(9k ft) and over to Sheridan with the AC cranked. My bumper also acts as a pseudo scoop too and must build some pressure in front of the radiator that wouldn’t normally be there.

A turbo is inherently more efficient than a supercharger. That’s just a fact. My goal is to pick up a 6boost manifold and put a turbo on eventually. Gotta stay intercooled and keep the exhaust inside the frame though. The SC route is a huge commitment already though($$$) and I’m happy with it. It’s let me live a comfortable life w/ factory gearing and 37s. The 4.88s are in the shop, along with complete rebuild kits and I’ll hopefully be committing a week to tearing out the axles to clean and paint them/regear too. Sector shaft is also tweaked . . .🙄 lol it’s my DD right now.

But I’m about to post some data I gathered on my electric fan last year in another thread. I know it’s sacrilege, but that’s my life. 😆

But go turbo if it’s an option. Definitely.

The original offering from Toyota was a long way from what one would expect from Toyota. The ringed fan was no where near up to the task of cooling the engine. I live in Mass and have done quite a few cross country trips to Utah, Colorado and such with out any over heating problems. But I've made changes to the stock TRD setup as well.

Thank you all for the experienced feedback, I'll keep trudging onward towards the turbo. :steer:

I bought our 80 in Loudon (don’t swim in that lake). It feels hot with the humidity and all, but unless you have problems with your cooling system, overheating isn’t generally an issue in that area.

I bought our 80 in Loudon (don’t swim in that lake). It feels hot with the humidity and all, but unless you have problems with your cooling system, overheating isn’t generally an issue in that area.
I'm actually in Loudon and thanks for the heads up on the lake. Cooling even during summer is a piece of cake compared to Phoenix. Truck is much happier here.

As one of the very few people that has both an SC80 and a Turbo80 I can say for sure that after a mammoth of a cooling thread and replacing everything under the sun to thwart a cooling issue on my SC80, it’s finally at a point where it’s running in a comfortable zone. Even when it’s 115° for weeks on end here in Medford.

My Turbo80…I don’t even worry about it. It stays under 200° always.

Solid advice. I hadn't considered elevation change issues. I'm just 1 house away from placing a turbo order. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom