1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 runner v6 or v8

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by 2garfields, Aug 18, 2006.

1. 2garfields

2garfields

My sister is looking for an 03 4runner, and the local dealer has one of each v6 & v8 in stock, both limited model with under 40k milage. Any real life experience with them?:D

2. Rocknroll

Rocknroll

We have an '05 with the v8 that we absolutly love. I wouldn't trade the hp for and the trailer handling ability that comes with it for anything anything. Milage is not the bst but decent at around 19/21. And really it does better than that, but i have a tendency to use those extra ponies on on-ramps and things so...

3. 2garfields

2garfields

Thanks for the input. Do you have any issue with it at all?:D I read it somewhere that, it some common the same issues with LC.

4. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

we have an 03 V8 SR5.

love driving it. My mileage is similar to what RocknRoll reports, 17-21 with a mix. Like he said, it is capable of getting more MPG, and I have gotten about 23 mpg out of it, but I drive like a granny. :)

On a long trip with cruise control set at a reasonable speed, 21-23 mpg isn't too much to ask I think.

I find that the mileage improved when I put on a K&N filter, switched to synthetic oil, and had the catalytic converters replaced and the ecu reporgrammed (See beloe for details on that) Each one of those things improved the mileage by a fraction of an MPG, but they add up.

As far as issues with the 03 V8:

Catalytic converters. We bought ours used, and when driving it we noticed a very strong sulfur/ammonia type smell, especially with the widows down.

I found out that Toyota issued a TSB for it, that for V8 models between a certain VIN range, they will replace the cats for free and reporgram the ECU.

We had that done with difficulty, but that is due to the poor serrvice of the Toyota dealer, nothing that Toyota itself can be held directly responsible for.

Another issue, and this is just another nuisance (the catalytic converter thing is also just a nuisance as the smell is horrible, but it won't damage anything) is the well known issue of the rattle coming from the sunroof. Supposedly there is a fix involving putting some grease up there to shut it up, but I haven't tried it yet.

Also, there can be a terrible clunking sound coming from under the truck. It's especially prevalent when you stop the truck and take your foot off the brake. This can be fixed by greasing the slip joint and universal joint coming out of the rear of the transfer case.

As far as V6 vs V8:

The V6 has more horsepower, but less torque. The V6 does not have permanent 4WD. It is reported to get somewhat better mileage.

The V8 has more torque, but about 10 less hp. It is permanent 4WD. The true benefit of the V8 is in towing a trailer I think.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the V6 came with the 5 speed automatic like the V8 does. DOn't quote me on that, i'm not 100% positive on that.

I would say that, if you're not planning on towing or doing heavy duty wheeling with it, that I'd get the V6 and enjoy the marginally better fuel economy.

Fred

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">