1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 runner - advice on a used one

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by lovetoski, Jan 22, 2004.

1. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

Hi,

I have a friend who's pretty keen to purchase a 95 4 runner. He loves my two cruisers, but the 4 runner better fits his needs. He's going to take it to a reputable mechanic, but if any of you have some key things he should pay attention to it would be great. He's got two kids, and travels a lot, so he wants his wife to have a really reliable vehicle.

Thanks for any advice.

Doug

2. Bradass80

Bradass80

This thread will probably get moved or flamed to death in this forum but i too love my 4runner, I'd suggest he go with a 96 or newer runner and also inform him that a rear elocker is available if he searches for one, Brad.

3. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

There's 4Runner and Toyota Truck Talk section on Pirate. You may get a better response there or on a 4Runner board. They exist.

4. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Probably should go to chat or the truck section. More likely to get answers from 4R guys.

5. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

Thanks for the recommendation to look in Pirate. I got all the info I need to help my friend. I knew the LC crowd could point me in the right direction.

Doug

6. TRT2

TRT2

The 95 was last of the 2nd generation runners, 96 seeing the new lines and new engine design.

the 95 was and is still prone to the famour head gasket failure. When our 95 went, I contacted Toyota and it was not covered by their recall. Be very careful and have litmus test performed to confirm state of head gaskets.

also, the runner's mileage is not that great, about 17 on the hwy.

I have been trying to sell my 95 (SR5, 5 spd) with 220K on the clock, just completed head gaskets, timing chain and water pump work, no luck at 6K. Going to drop price to 5500 and see... after that, I guess I'm married to it. We have not been as happy with the 95 as we were with the 92.

I'm much more excited about the 85 I'm currently building.