4 Peaks Area 2-20-2012 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wish we had done that one on Sunday judging from the pics. Appears good times were had by all!!!

ANd just why would one want to bypass such fun? ;)

my judgement went as follows: big ruts that can pitch the truck in both directions - to the left would have had no way out (desert in the way and quite steep), and backing up in ruts is a PITA - pitched to the right a bit earlier gave me the option to the bypass - so, that's the option I took

and then, I could have probably made it through the dealio, too :meh: - in hindsight I think it looked worse than it was :eek:

... and then, I could have probably made it through the dealio, too :meh: - in hindsight I think it looked worse than it was :eek:

Agree that you would have made it, but not a place where narrow is an advantage. I would classify that as a significant washout, series of holes obstacle! The pix make it look flat and none really show it? I would say the biggest one was 3-4' deep, some places had pretty much vertical walls, on ball bearing "rock". The chance of sliding into them was relatively high and that wouldn't end well. :hillbilly:

Can see the start of it in this pic, big holes.

attachment.php

Agree that you would have made it, but not a place where narrow is an advantage. I would classify that as a significant washout, series of holes obstacle! The pix make it look flat and none really show it? I would say the biggest one was 3-4' deep, some places had pretty much vertical walls, on ball bearing "rock". The chance of sliding into them was relatively high and that wouldn't end well. :hillbilly:

completely agree - the high line on the right y'all took wouldn't have worked for me - I would have had to go further left, and thus, more likely to be pitched to the left in the biggest hole

agree, the pics give the impression that the washouts are only half as deep as they really were

I'm wondering whether we ought to put johnny joints (or some other misalignment joint...) into the spring eye at the frame, and make a panhard for the road that can be disconnected for the trail?

Doing anything like that would require new springs? I wouldn't use johnny joints. Maybe just change the main leaf for one with the later model ends, bigger bushings? The frame brackets are cracked, so now would be a good time to change them? This would allow more flex, with less stress on the brackets/pins and use the later style beefier pins.

I am not entirely sure I need even more flex :confused:

I am not entirely sure I need even more flex :confused:

I should have been more clear. The axle flex is controlled by the shocks, so without changing the shocks and likely towers, it wont have more axle flex. What is happening is the spring eyes are contacting the pin, attempting (successfully) to rip the brackets off of the frame and break pins. The issue is; not enough flex at the connection of frame end to the spring.

Without getting drastic (linking, etc) there are a couple of relatively easy ways to fix it. 1; Change to a longer spring and move the frame mount back. A longer spring will more easily twist than the short stub that is on there now. 2; Go to a larger eye on the spring, that uses a larger bushing, this would allow more flex/twist before metal to metal, spring eye to pin/bracket contact. Doing ether or a combination of both, would not increase total axle flex, but would allow easier axle flex, have less bind and would be much more durable.

Whaaaaat?

The LandCruiserPhil Special Edition has a new owner? Tell us more about it, in 17,777.77 words or less :popcorn:

:lol::cool::lol: down to the penny delivered in a Nortroms bag? :grinpimp:

It all started when the "guys" asked to to put a price on it - see what happens!?

Im Looking forward to seeing the 40 on the trail Phil. Did you ever get around to installing those longer rear springs packs?

:lol::cool::lol: down to the penny delivered in a Nortroms bag? :grinpimp:

It all started when the "guys" asked to to put a price on it - see what happens!?

Im Looking forward to seeing the 40 on the trail Phil. Did you ever get around to installing those longer rear springs packs?

Actually the spring to be installed are shorter then what is presently on the 40 but longer then stock. This has been a emotional

So, it really is The LandCruiserPhil Wife's Special Edition, somehow that doesn't roll off the tongue the same? All of those hopes, goals of future sticker, plaques, etc, sales,,, dashed.:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom