4 more inches... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am putting in new springs. I am thinking 4 inches of lift. Right now it looks like Hell for Stout or Old man EMU Dakar. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Go SOA and be done with it, at least for a little while.

Just bought H.F.S. 4" lift. But have not installed yet.... debated between Alcans and H.F.S. Gaylan at Cool Cruisers gave me a deal I could not pass up! I'm in the middle of a disc conversion and then the lift.

I'll second the consider a spring over, especially the low profile one. If you think you may want to run 36's in the future it may be more economical to lift it once instead of twice.

The problem with a SOA is that you have a hard time not going too high. I'm SOA (with stock worn out springs) and 37's and would like to lower it an inch or so.

Just bought H.F.S. 4" lift. But have not installed yet.... debated between Alcans and H.F.S. Gaylan at Cool Cruisers gave me a deal I could not pass up! I'm in the middle of a disc conversion and then the lift.

Looking at the HFS myself. What size shackles did you go with? My only hesitation is the price - about 1400.00 plus shipping is alot to squeeze by the wife. I don't think she'll believe I've had them in the back of the garage the whole time.

Looking at the HFS myself. What size shackles did you go with? My only hesitation is the price - about 1400.00 plus shipping is alot to squeeze by the wife. I don't think she'll believe I've had them in the back of the garage the whole time.

LoL- I see you use the same 'method' I do- let me know how you get it by :princess:... I'm always game for new suggestions!

I'm thinking I'll have to buy her an Hour massage and book it at the same time as UPS delivers. If I get caught, hopefully she'll be so relaxed she won't yell too much. LOL I'll let you know if I get away with it.

I havn't owned a set but my buddy just custom ordered a set of Alcan springs for his 92 Burban. I must say they are the highest quality suspension springs I've ever seen. They really know their s*** and seem to be reasonably priced. I know there are a number of mudders running them so the FJ40 isn't unknown to them. They'll work all the numbers and weights out with you and make em just right for what you want em to do.

Alcan Springs.

My current OME 2.5" is a nice spring but they're pre dakkar versions. Some say they're too stiff but mine might be well broken in or something cuz they're really nice IMO. I'm not sure if OME makes a 4" set.

I still think that the ride of my original SOA stock springs gave was the nicest though. As far as clearance goes, IMO SOA w 35" tires gives the perfect combo.

Good luck.

I went with the 1.5 over stock shackles...I paid 1253.00 for lift kit, shackles and pins with shipping! I have the rear done, just need to finish the front today.

I debated the SOA vs. SUA for quite some time...I do drive on road quite alot with some wheeling in between so that is why I stayed SUA..I will save my stock springs for the day I do go SOA.

if you put on a replacement fender kit such as from metaltech which gives more clearance and open up the rear fenders, can you fit 37"s on a 4" sua lift, just seems like if youd want a bigger tire but not the added height of a soa is this a possibity? Just wondering!

Heres a 4" lift, it's been on for close to 10 years so may have settled a bit, the tires are 37" radials. The fenders are MT.

As mentioned below the rear quarters are trimmed up to the inner fender, the rockers are trimmed up to the floorpan supports.

Going to breakfast with the neighbor!
Hank Ride.jpg

Last edited:
OMG! you guys are spending that kinda cash for springs?! Theres a lot of ways to get creative, SOA in the rear, shackle reversal with dropped mounts in the front, springs from a wrangler with an ad-a-leaf, mixing and matching fj55 , 60 or 62 springs for a better ride, articultaion, etc etc etc.
Thomas Edison stated: "To invent something, all you need is imagination and a pile of junk" Dont be too set that if you make a change to your rig, its permanent. Be open to try different things till you find something that works the way you want it to.

sometimes though you just want it to work from the get go and dont want to mess around with different stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom