4 Little Screws on Rear Fender Well (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just trying to plan ahead. What are these 4 miniature screws on the D/S rear fender well supposed to do? My guess is wiring , and some kind of clip (side marker, license plate light), hold down thingy is missing. Nothing like that on the P/S side.
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

aren't those for the jack rod brackets?

On the driver side, in the US, I believe they're for similar clips to hold the hand-starting crank handle. I'm surprised the OP doesn't have them on the passenger side. That's where my trucks have the clips for the jack extension rods (maybe it's different on earlier trucks).

aren't those for the jack rod brackets?

You know, you could be right. I forget where they were located on my ''71''. Even if I had a factory jack, I wouldn't know where it went without doing some research. On my ''71'' , I had a toolbox under the seat. This is a 76 tub. Screws are awfully small, and the tub didn't come with the factory Jack, or its accessories, (or the clips that hold the, as I recall 2 rods). Is the pic a good enough shot?

3 puppies, sorry, slow on the draw. spotcruiser, nothing on the P/S.

You're correct about the screw size. I just looked at my '78 and the bolts for the rod brackets are 6mm. The screws on the driver side are very small, maybe 4mm or less. Still, I recall seeing photos of crank handle brackets being there on the DS. I'll try to find a photo.

Last edited:
Found a photo and diagram from a previous thread. If those screws aren't for the handle brackets, I don't have a clue what they're for. Admittedly, they seem too small for this application. :doh:
Crank Handle.jpg
Crank Handle Diagram.jpg

spotcruiser, Thank You. Not that I have a crank handle kicking around. I was just curious. I'll be putting my body on soon, and I just want to know what goes where. Been awhile since I had a Real Tub. When I bought this truck it had a F/G body. My ''71 was 36 years ago. Now I have (with a lot of work) a rust free , 100% steel, 76 tub.

This is a photo of the jack rods on the PS wheelwell in my '78, but it's identical on both '76s, one early and one mid-year model. I'm surprised that you don't have bolts there, unless repairs have eliminated them.
Jack Rods.jpg

Thanks spotcruiser but , No ,no, no. I don't have bolts like that . These are Really small. I'm thinking wiring. (holdy down clips).
018.jpg
019.jpg
020.jpg

Yeah, I understand. I have those tiny screws on the driver side of my trucks also. The photo above is for the jack rod brackets on the passenger side and, as mentioned, those bolts are 6mm.

Perhaps someone has the crank handle brackets on the driver side and can post a photo of the mounting screws.

Thanks spotcruiser but , No ,no, no. I don't have bolts like that . These are Really small. I'm thinking wiring. (holdy down clips).

IIRC, only the very early 40s came with the hand-crank, later (no idea of the cut-off date) had the jack rods there.

You know, you could be right. I forget where they were located on my ''71''. Even if I had a factory jack, I wouldn't know where it went without doing some research. On my ''71'' , I had a toolbox under the seat. This is a 76 tub. Screws are awfully small, and the tub didn't come with the factory Jack, or its accessories, (or the clips that hold the, as I recall 2 rods). Is the pic a good enough shot?

rods went on the passenger rear fender behind the jump seat and the jack went under the seat wedged against a bracket and the dropoff wall on the tub. handle was in the tool kit next to the jack with a big rubber band holding it in place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom