4 inch OME vendors on the east coast or should I go Pro Comp or Skycrapper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to pull the trigger on a 4" lift for my 1972 FJ40 and I am leaning (pun intended) towards OME, but I don't know of any vendors around the Philly area or even the east coast for that matter to cut down on the shipping costs. I know I can get the ProComp or Skycrapper brand shipped pretty cheap, but I've had both on mini trucks in the past and wasn't impressed at all. Anyone know of a place I can order it from in the Northeast part of the country? I checked Amazon but couldn't find it for my rig.

I usually order from Cruiser Outfitters and eat the shipping. They are one of the few that actually stock the kits instead of drop ship. I got burned by a reputable east coast Off-road shop that said they had them in stock and it took 6 weeks to get. Dobinson s might be a option too. You can order direct from CrikeyMike.

I am so late to the game. When did OME stop selling the 4" kits? I just bought 34×9.5" TSL'S. I don't think this will work with a 2" lift unless I get the sawzall out and/or a bodylift.
I don’t think they ever sold 4 inch kits. Pretty sure they do it because they couldn’t get a ride that was up to brand standards or something. People say skyjacker with bilstein shocks rides very well.

Also I have heard great things about HFS lift. @cbmontgo has installed it on 2 of his trucks

Thanks!! You are probably right. I have been lost in the mini truck world where you can put together a custom hybrid lift for half the price of a 40 series box kit that flexes like crazy.

Have you known anyone that used the Jack-it 4" kit. Its about $1300 with free shipping. Its basically just a combination of Procomp and Skyjacker with extended brake lines thrown in to sweeten the deal. I would still have to buy frame bushings and would probably get new shackles as well since I'll probably be torching the old ones off.

Thanks!! You are probably right. I have been lost in the mini truck world where you can put together a custom hybrid lift for half the price of a 40 series box kit that flexes like crazy.

Have you known anyone that used the Jack-it 4" kit. Its about $1300 with free shipping. Its basically just a combination of Procomp and Skyjacker with extended brake lines thrown in to sweeten the deal. I would still have to buy frame bushings and would probably get new shackles as well since I'll probably be torching the old ones off.
@rkymtnflyfisher has a good kit

My 40 flexes like an 80 year old man with lower back pain.

In all seriousness, I don't wheel my junk hard so I don't really know how it flexes. I do run some rough roads, and spend some time on washboard roads, and the Skyjacker lift is pretty smooth, once I got it dialed in.

The problem with many of the budget lift springs is that they aren't long enough. Your shackle angles end up being either vertical or inverted. The 2.5 OME or Dobinsons kits can be paired with longer shackles to make something close to a 4". Plan for caster correction, extended brake lines and bump stop extensions if you go 4". Depending on the shackles, you may need driveshaft mods as well.

One of my 40's has a budget 4" lift and 35's and I ended up removing a couple of leaves to correct shackle angles and make it more like 3". Extending the bump stops keeps the tires away from the fenders. My rear fenders are cut and flared, however, so your results may vary.

IMG_0354[1].JPG

My other 40 will not do a lot of off-road, so I went with the tried and true OME 2.5 lift and 33's. No caster correction, no extended brake lines, no driveshaft mods, no bump stop worries.

IMG_4309[1].JPG

IMG_0354[1].JPG

IMG_4309[1].JPG

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I don't wheel my junk hard so I don't really know how it flexes. I do run some rough roads, and spend some time on washboard roads, and the Skyjacker lift is pretty smooth, once I got it dialed in.
Did you mess with the spring packs? I've done it countless times on mini truck springs when you do RUF (rears up front). I would spend hours upon hours reading up on what combination to use. I would end up buying three different used springs from 3 different years 1st and 2nd gen trucks swapping leafs in and out to finally come up with a setup I liked for both on and off road. Trying to avoid it on this build.

The problem with many of the budget lift springs is that they aren't long enough. Your shackle angles end up being either vertical or inverted. The 2.5 OME or Dobinsons kits can be paired with longer shackles to make something close to a 4". Plan for caster correction, extended brake lines and bump stop extensions if you go 4". Depending on the shackles, you may need driveshaft mods as well.

One of my 40's has a budget 4" lift and 35's and I ended up removing a couple of leaves to correct shackle angles and make it more like 3". Extending the bump stops keeps the tires away from the fenders. My rear fenders are cut and flared, however, so your results may vary.

View attachment 2672464

My other 40 will not do a lot of off-road, so I went with the tried and true OME 2.5 lift and 33's. No caster correction, no extended brake lines, no driveshaft mods, no bump stop worries.

View attachment 2672469
I like the one with 35's. Did you have to modify the driveshaft? I had a 69 FJ40 years ago that had a 4" lift and the front driveshaft was a few degrees short of being vertical....lol

I like the one with 35's. Did you have to modify the driveshaft? I had a 69 FJ40 years ago that had a 4" lift and the front driveshaft was a few degrees short of being vertical....lol
I did not install the lift on the '78, so I'm not sure if the driveshaft had to be modified. I just removed spring packs and lowered it down a little. It was so stiff that I was lifting a wheel on every off-road obstacle. Rode like a buckboard with all four shackles being vertical. No articulation.

35s are tough to fit. They require cutting the rear to fit. 33s are the way to go in my opinion. They fit great.

Recently swapped out my 2.5" OME's for 4" Skyjackers up front. I was running longer shackles for added lift, but as others have said the shackle angle was poor. Rides much better (for a 40) on the skyjackers, no clearance issues with 10.5 33’s.

BB34881B-3283-4C14-AB22-BDA4B48D2F3D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom