"4-high vibration" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1985 fj60 and noticed today that when I engage the "4 high" on the transfer case I get a vibration like I'm running paddle tires on pavement. When I switch to "4 low" the vibration goes away. Also I'm having trouble disengaging from 4 wheel to 2 high. Any thoughts?
Thanks
ZonieCruiser

When you shift from low to high range gearing, be sure that all 4 tires are on a loose surface such as dirt or gravel as pavement can cause binding and make shifting hard. Hard shifting could also indicate a low fluid level so it would be a good idea to check you differential and tcase fluids. When you shift between 4wd and 2wd be sure that you arent moving or you could grind the gears. also a fj60's 4wd is not ment to be driven on pavement. Our front and rear driveshafts are locked together unlike other modern cars that require a center locking diff. we have a permanently locked center diff which is great for off-road but horrible for on road.

Vibration could come from a number of places. it makes sense that no vibration is in 4low because of its inherently slower speeds and higher torque. If your fj60 is lifted then theres a good chance that the front driveshaft angle is too extreme for high speeds and will vibrate at a certain MPH. If its not lifted and the driveshaft angle is stock then I would grease all the ujoints and check for slop in the Tcase flange, driveshaft Ujoints/slip joint, and the diff flange. Another possible cause is a broken birfeild or a hub gear not engaging all the way. If you have 2 different tire sizes in the front and rear or 2 extreme tire pressure differences then vibration is likely, as well as a front or rear diff without the same gearing ratio.or if the front U-joints arent lined up correctly.

to better answer your question, what is it your doing when you get the vibration

Thanks for the info...I'll check my fluids first! I was driving on the snowy roads and noticed, even at the same speed, that 4 high felt like I had paddle tires on and 4 low had no vibration. I'll let you know what I find once the snow melts! Thank you!!

Also I know w/ both the 60’s I’ve had or have when trying to get out of 4H or 4L I have to put it in reverse, keep my right hand on the 4W shifter and goose the gas while shifting back into 2H. It always works. Has something to do w/ the way the gears spin, I can’t remember the term. Someone else can pipe in.

Ya, mine can also be a bit finicky shifting out of 4WD. Rolling forward or backwards while trying to pop it out always works for mine as well.

Thanks for the info...I'll check my fluids first! I was driving on the snowy roads and noticed, even at the same speed, that 4 high felt like I had paddle tires on and 4 low had no vibration. I'll let you know what I find once the snow melts! Thank you!!

I had that issue and it was after my truck was lifted, the front driveshaft angle was too harsh

When l removed the filler plug on my transfer case oil ran out. There was quite a bit so I captured it and put the plug back in. I checked my transmission (H55) filler plug and couldnt get any oil to register. I filled it with at least 12 oz of gear oil and still couldn't feel it in the case. I believe there must be a seal between the transmission and transfer case that has gone out...need to look into that! Thank you all for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom