4 HI Engaged and TUFF to go back to 2WD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was doing a little off-roading and when it was all said and done, disengaging from 4 HI to 2 WD was a b.....! Any ideas on the cause and remedy? Is this is a sign of a future problem?

What kind of surface were you on? Sounds like you got a bit of windup in your driveline, nothing unusual. My 60 will do this over hardpacked surfaces and putting it in reverse and backing up a shortways will allow it slip right into 2WD.

stinkyfj60 said:
What kind of surface were you on? Sounds like you got a bit of windup in your driveline, nothing unusual. My 60 will do this over hardpacked surfaces and putting it in reverse and backing up a shortways will allow it slip right into 2WD.

I have had the same experience. Once you unload the drive train, it slips right into 2HI.

M

Mike S said:
I have had the same experience. Once you unload the drive train, it slips right into 2HI.

M

Me too.. try backing up just a tad.. that seems to work for me..

I was crossing rockbed streams and on semi hard dirt, some loose stuff but not much. I did reverse a bit but will try a little further next time.

87CRUSR said:
I was crossing rockbed streams and on semi hard dirt, some loose stuff but not much. I did reverse a bit but will try a little further next time.

Sometimes I give mine a little romp in reverse, but only a few feet. Just hit the gas in reverse and then hit the brakes pretty hard and it will get out of 4WD much easier.

THAT was the fix! Thanks all.

Good to hear you got it sussed - though I find I don't have to reverse quickly or stomp on the brakes - just a gentle reverse for a couple of feet and roll forwrd again and she slips into 2wd easily

Rgds
Andrew

Andew said:
- though I find I don't have to reverse quickly or stomp on the brakes - just a gentle reverse for a couple of feet and roll forwrd again and she slips into 2wd easily

Rgds
Andrew

I have only done that trick when rolling backward a few feet doesnt do the trick. It happens to my 60 where I have to be in 4Low to pull the grade but the surface is pretty hard so I do not get wheel slip of any kind.
Of course, the 4.56s have changed that I can motor around in 2WD in those situations now (33 and 3.70s suck on steep grades)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom