4 door Rubicon vs. 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I didn't realize this until my buddy and I were debating who's 4x4 was superior. He has a 4 door 2012 wrangler stock with mud tires. Our wheelbase is 4 inches shorter! 80 series: 112.2. 4 door heep: 116 inches. That's pretty crazy to me. That means we will always be more capable than a similarly equipped 4 door off-road right? Obviously we are heavier (by 500 pounds Haha) which is worse off-road but still...
He then countered saying his turning radius was smaller. Wrong again haha
80: 40.4
4 door heep: 41.2
The debate ended with him saying he gets better mileage and his has better looks hahahaha. The debate was whose was better off-road.
So my tech question is would a stock 80 off-road better than a stock 4 door Rubicon? In what situations could the Rubicon outperform the 80? Please explain your answer in detail. Thanks in advance for making me better at talking smack to the many proud people with heeps in their driveways.

Last edited:
Rubicons come with front & rear lockers. They have better gearing. Electronic sway bar disconnects. Front suspension is a 4-link with panhard with flexes much better than our radius arm setup meaning it's much more nimble in the rocks. Gotta remember, you're comparing technology that's 20 years apart. With that said, there's a reason we buy Land Cruisers...

EMGm4xGh.jpg

How about a 3x locked 80 so its apples to apples. Isn't a shorter wheel base superior?

Shorter wheelbase is only superior in terrain that a shorter wheelbase is superior in. There are steps or steeps where a short wheelbase is a negative. Drive what you like and like what you drive. Both can be amazing platforms.

So should I just not debate with him anymore and accept defeat haha? Or is their anything I can throw at him?

I think the advantage goes slightly to the Rubicon due to it's t-case & sway bar disco's.

So should I just not debate with him anymore and accept defeat haha? Or is their anything I can throw at him?

How bout you guys settle it like men. On the trails. First one to get stuck loses.

I've had both... Love my 80 to death but off road the Rubicon wins. There's six 80's in my group of friends all locked and one JK that's unlocked. He gets through all the obstacles unlocked that we have to lock up on due to it being lighter and having better articulation. If durability and longevity were part of the argument then I believe the 80 would win in that debate. If we could do something about the radius arms on these things it would help a bunch off road.

I have found over time that St. Augustine was right: "A man convinced against his will is of the same mind still."

Therefore I only debate with people who will genuinely debate a topic based on the merits of the idea or topic, not based on emotion or preference.

I am going to say that based on your description, it is highly unlikely your friend will change his mind no matter what you say or what facts you are going to face him with. Therefore, I think the guys are right. Each man enjoy his own rig, and settle things out on the trail for fun.

-Muddy1

Just curious how would a triple locked Mercedes G wagon compare to the other 2?
But please keep answering my initial question.

Rubicons come with front & rear lockers. They have better gearing. Electronic sway bar disconnects. Front suspension is a 4-link with panhard with flexes much better than our radius arm setup meaning it's much more nimble in the rocks. Gotta remember, you're comparing technology that's 20 years apart. With that said, there's a reason we buy Land Cruisers...

EMGm4xGh.jpg
I laughed at your sticker but am not sure if I understand it? Does it mean both comments are irrelevant?

I have a regular Wrangler Sport and will say for normal driving, I appreciate acceleration and passing power of the Pentastar. The manual helps too. The 80 is a much more comfortable and substantial vehicle to operate. You have to respect the weight, the slow going, and so so braking. I think the 80 looks way cooler too when modded.

Just curious how would a triple locked Mercedes G wagon compare to the other 2?
But please keep answering my initial question.
Wow. That's completely different. Most G-wagens, regardless of year, are possibly the most-capable factory off-road vehicles ever built! Even the early ones from the 80s had locking differentials front and rear. They were built more like medium-duty trucks than even the mighty FZJ80s. Center of gravity is surprisingly low. They were designed as army trucks for severe off-road duty. I love some of the reviewers who said that they were screaming like little girls during the testing, and the G-wagens STILL didn't tip over or roll!

Although I think that the FZJ80 AND the Rubicon are fine vehicles, modern G-wagens are incredible vehicles, once you get past the bling, pomp and circumstance.

And the old ones?

Check out this page: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18910560

And then tell me you don't want one!

The old ones were nearly completely mechanical... not a microprocessor in sight! They are superbly rugged, EVEN MORE SO THAN AN 80. How do I know? I have looked at them, in detail, side by side. There is NO comparison in build quality. I own an 80 and I really love it, but in terms of sheer build quality, the German rig is on top... by quite a lot. The frame is more rugged, the driveline is more rugged, the body is more rugged... everything.

That said, the 80 can cruise in quiet comfort at 80MPH, and the older G-wagens can't do that, although the new ones can.

Muddy1

I laughed at your sticker but am not sure if I understand it? Does it mean both comments are irrelevant?

This guy explains it better than I could

It goes something like this: when we were kids, many of us had a goldfish as our "first pet". Then we grew up and got "real" pets.

So the insult is that the Jeep is a fun first toy, but then we grow up, and build up Land Cruisers.

A G wagon 6x6 is my dream Truck, half a million later. But the LX will never be sold...

Wranglers have better approach and departure angles, too.

A jeep wrangler is a fantastic vehicle for offroading, especially in the first world. The mall crawler crew ruins it for the real jeep wheelers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom