4 Cylinder Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How is would it be to switch the 2F with a north American 4 cylinder diesel? I would have the complete rig.

Very difficult. Not plug and play. Do some reading instead of asking vague questions.

130umu.jpg

Though the VW 1.9 TDI is a great engine I think you will find that its too small for the weight of the 60. You will have lots of space in the engine bay and there are some good kits to adapt the engine to a Toyota pickup truck transmission. Or did you not mean 4 cylinder diesels sold in North America ;)

Any modern common rail injected 4cyl diesel is going to require its own ECU to operate.

So you're looking for ones that come with an ECU in crate motor form (the 2.8 Cummins), or something that has aftermarket ECU retrofit support (the Cummins 4 ISB) or something that is mechanically injected and doesn't require an ECU at all (the Cummins 4BT).

The only other "American" 4 cylinder diesel I can think of is the Duramax 2.8 and that would be a one-off in terms of retrofits. One-offs are expensive and the opposite of plug and play.

So let me clarify, it is a American 60 series with a factory 3B motor, I would get the whole rig.

So a BJ6x 3B motor? Slap an intercooled turbo on it and throw it in there. Post pictures. :popcorn:

Although that's a lot more straight forward for a re-power, but I wouldn't say it's "easy". Swap drivetrain, and fuel/exhaust systems over, swap in all the vehicle's 24V gauges and electric motors, lights/lamps etc...

I saw a post on FB. Real nice new Cummins 2.8 conversion into a 60. He had a shop do it and when the final bill came it was $28,000. Ouch! He loves it and claims to be getting 28 MPG.

Every North American spec (ie. Canadian) BJ60 I have ever seen is a 12 volt 3B engine vehicle, so perhaps no 24v issues as north west overland implies.

if you have a whole donor BJ60 then that's as easy as a diesel swap gets. Turbo and intercool so you can actually go more then 50mph

If you have a full BJ60 donor, then a very straight forward swap. Not a very powerful one, but there are turbo options and such.

good luck!

C’mon, my normally aspirated ‘84 BJ60 happily cruises at 110-120kph (70-75 mph).Yes, long steep uphill grades may drop me down to 80kph (50mph), but it’ll hold that speed at 3000rpm in third gear. That why they geared the H55 in the 60 the way they did. Use your gearbox properly and you’ll be fine without risking cobbled-together turbo issues. Perhaps not “quick”, but not slow...
Just my opinion, after 35 years and half a million km of driving the same truck. 😎👍

BMW M57’s are quite reliable once you get them out of the BMW. Plenty of sources for standalone engine controllers, and emissions deletes. And the power they can get with a simple tune is astounding. Check those out

C’mon, my normally aspirated ‘84 BJ60 happily cruises at 110-120kph (70-75 mph).Yes, long steep uphill grades may drop me down to 80kph (50mph), but it’ll hold that speed at 3000rpm in third gear. That why they geared the H55 in the 60 the way they did. Use your gearbox properly and you’ll be fine without risking cobbled-together turbo issues. Perhaps not “quick”, but not slow...
Just my opinion, after 35 years and half a million km of driving the same truck. 😎👍

I think we need a little longer frame of reference before you start making claims here sir...

:rofl: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom