4 bolt pattern on the back of the rear bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could the four bolt pattern on the rear bumper be used for a lightweight hitch? I'd love to get rid of that clunky class 3 hitch I have hanging down under the rear bumper.

Besides who am I kidding. The 3FE won't be towing anything near the axle limit anyway but I would like to tow my little 4X8 trailer that weighs in at 400 Ibs unloaded. Camping gear and the like.

If the 4 bolt pattern is not for a bolt on hitch what is it for?

Here's a 2 inch receiver bolted up to my Slee rear bumper:

Treg-003.JPG

I have towed about 2500 pounds without incident, though I would hesitate to tow much more than that. The receiver came from Christo Slee also, but I am not sure of the maufacturer.

John

I asked this someplace else but got no reply IIRC:
why are only 2 of the holes threaded?

John E Davies said:
Here's a 2 inch receiver bolted up to my Slee rear bumper:

John

John,

Do you have a Treg hitch? If so, where did you buy it?

Lars said:
John,

Do you have a Treg hitch? If so, where did you buy it?

Forget it. Just saw the info on your website. Very impressive trailer!

e9999 said:
I asked this someplace else but got no reply IIRC:
why are only 2 of the holes threaded?

I haven't ever heard a good answer. but what ticks me off is that the lower holes are bigger than a 1/2 inch - I had to call all over town to bolt suppliers to find 9/16 inch Grade 8 bolts and nuts.

John Davies

The lower two are threaded because you otherwise would not be able to get a nut on the bolt from behind. AFAIK.

Just ordered a combo ball/pintle hitch. We'll see if it fits. Hopefully it will fit the 4 bolts in the back bumper of the 40 too.

Last edited:
my class 3 hitch that bolts to the frame has just as much clearance as that pintle drop hitch and is a lot stronger. the receiver box is flush against the bottom of the stock bumper. If I were you I would get a class 3 hitch like that before adding a drop hitch to the pintle mount. the problem with a drop hitch on those 4 bolts is that they will twist. if you use the pintle hooks for a hitch then as I understand it you want the hitch to come straight out perpendicular to the bolts which is why it works best with a pintle mount.

CruisinGA said:
The lower two are threaded because you otherwise would not be able to get a nut on the bolt from behind. AFAIK.
snip

you meant higher maybe?

but anyway why not thread all 4 eh?

my class 3 hitch that bolts to the frame has just as much clearance as that pintle drop hitch and is a lot stronger. the receiver box is flush against the bottom of the stock bumper. If I were you I would get a class 3 hitch like that before adding a drop hitch to the pintle mount.

That is what I currently have. I was looking for something with a bit more ground clearance and alot less weight. Mine is a drawtite and there is about an inch of clearance from the bottom of the bumper to the top of the receiver box.

What I would like is something that looks like this pintle hook mount . That way I could put a drop hitch in when I need to tow my little trailer or throw my Yakima bike rack in with no loss in clearance.

Last edited:
semlin said:
my class 3 hitch that bolts to the frame has just as much clearance as that pintle drop hitch and is a lot stronger. the receiver box is flush against the bottom of the stock bumper. If I were you I would get a class 3 hitch like that before adding a drop hitch to the pintle mount. the problem with a drop hitch on those 4 bolts is that they will twist. if you use the pintle hooks for a hitch then as I understand it you want the hitch to come straight out perpendicular to the bolts which is why it works best with a pintle mount.

For light loads AND an aftermarket steel bumper, the little recever works fine. The real advantage is that if you go rock crawling you can remove it in about 5 minutes and have a bunch of aditional clearance.

John Davies

I got the pitle hitch but can't match a bolt from my large selection of grade 8's in the bolt box. What size, lenght and THREAD bolt do I need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom