4" Alcan springs - What did you use for shocks? (1 Viewer)

What shocks did you use with your 4" Alcan lift?

• Rancho 5000 sreies

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I asked this b/f and got some (but not enough) good responses.

Want to know what you used shock wise (Brand and part #) If you know measurements that would be great too!

Any mods needed or bolt in? (new/different mounts, etc?)

How they worked, your personal experience.

And what you use your cruiser for most.

45 views and no responce? come on people. I need some info. As I have no clue where to go and we all know there are not a ton of threads about Alcan 4"

Even if you have the 2.5" lift and extended shackles or SR and 2.5" let me know what you are running. But please let me know what your set-up is as well.

I'm still searching for the shock answer for my 2" Alcan springs. I'm currently running OME but they are not a good match (very bouncy at slow speeds on road - like a small pogo stick). Rancho 5000s were worse (too stiff). Alcan recommended that I try Bilstein 5100s last time I talked to them. I am not, however, going to waste my money into non adjustable shocks. I'm currently looking at either Rancho 9000s or some Walker Evans adjustables.

I'm running 4" alcans on my 55. I have Doetsch Tech 8000, the "pre-runners" on my pig and it rides VERY well. I have the longest ones but actually don't need ALL that travel. Mine are the 13.5" travel shocks. Very happy with the ride...it rides extremely well.

My alcans are rated for 300lbs over stock in rear...and 200lbs in the front.

I used BDS shocks. They are nice and soft which worked well for a daily driver. Their shock guide can be downloaded as a pdf file if I recall.

Don

I went with Rancho 9012s, and they seem fine, except for the decapitated knob on a couple. I guess I couldve installed them more thoughtfully (i.e. knob facing spring, dunno), but I've neglected to adjust them for years now, and the ride doesn't seem bouncy or jarring. I've heard that 5k series rancho are garbage, valved way too hard IIRC. I didn't go with OME 'cause the hoops I built for the front are my interpretation of this idea here
http://www.allprooffroad.com/images/stories/suspension/shock_hoops_l.jpg
and OME has the Toy-style upper mount in mind for their shock, kinda short travel for me.
I look at Dave Beckett's 60, albeit with pricey National springs and those ext. reservoir shocks (Doestch maybe) and, @&@&@&@&e... you get the idea
60soaon37s-10.jpg

Go to off-road.com or deutchtech.com it will tell you your model Land Cruiser then "+4" lift" or something like that. Then see what the compressed and extened numbers are and you will have the right part numbers, for a rig with stock mounting points. You can use the Ford shock mounts and get 14" travel (total overkill) up front at least I think... 12" travel should be more than fine...

crawlin60 said:
I look at Dave Beckett's 60, albeit with pricey National springs and those ext. reservoir shocks (Doestch maybe) and, @&@&@&@&e... you get the idea

<<<HIJACK>>>>

what wheels are those? Are those the American Eagle 589's???

Pretty sure they are...

9000s, so i can have it soft for wheeling and hard for street cornering:D

nuclearlemon said:
9000s, so i can have it soft for wheeling and hard for street cornering:D

Can you make 9012's work in the rear? I know you can in the front with the ford shock mounts. (any other ideas for mounts?) I see tons of 9012's on j**p boards for decent deals. Also, is the in cab controler worth a hoot? Seems like a cool idea!

Thanks for finally getting this thread going! Best info on shocks I have ever gotten on here!

I´m running 9000´s with my 4 inch alcans. I figured the adjustabilty would be be essential as my truck is often loaded for outings. Perhaps some Bilstein 5125´s or 5150´s would be stiff enough for a loaded truck. But, then when you unload it you´d probably have a very stiff ride. I was never a fan of rancho´s, but until someone makes a better adjustable shock that´s what I´ll run.

not too sure...i'm running 9112 and 9017's according to my ledger.

crawlin60 said:
I went with Rancho 9012s, and they seem fine, except for the decapitated knob on a couple. I guess I couldve installed them more thoughtfully (i.e. knob facing spring, dunno), but I've neglected to adjust them for years now, and the ride doesn't seem bouncy or jarring. I've heard that 5k series rancho are garbage, valved way too hard IIRC. I didn't go with OME 'cause the hoops I built for the front are my interpretation of this idea here
http://www.allprooffroad.com/images/stories/suspension/shock_hoops_l.jpg
and OME has the Toy-style upper mount in mind for their shock, kinda short travel for me.

what's going on in the front of that cruiser? is that a bug shield that is loose?? got another pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom