4.88's installed......finally (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well, somethings worked out put not all.
the rear d-shaft i bought and sent out ($170. later)had the wrong flanges on it. :confused: :confused: at both ends! could'nt use it, but eventually i'll swap flanges.

went pretty smooth as far as installation(about the same as doing it in the sand ayt moab ;) )

thanx to WORLD WIDE OFF ROAD in ogden utah for the use of the 3.73 third.
i am sooooooo glad to get that out of my rig!!!

it feels so good to be able to pull a hill now.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!
DSC00220.JPG
DSC00223.JPG
DSC00224.JPG

nice...I really want to swap out my OEM gearing. How long did it take you??

Ogden, UT - I dated a girl that went to school there.....

casually about

Noah said:
nice...I really want to swap out my OEM gearing. How long did it take you??

Ogden, UT - I dated a girl that went to school there.....

3-4 hours

it was hot here on saturday,although sittin under the 60 makes for some realy good shade! ;)

i run 35's so the 4.88's make a great combo IMO.

IT BRINGS BACK NEW LIFE TO O'LE BESSIE! :D

I have 35's under my 60 also with the 4.88 combo, and it drives just about right. On post here we have the police computers on the side of the road that tell you how fast you are going and for me to be going 45 my speedo says 49. About 1 mile for every 10 miles off if that makes since.

so now i'm goin slower

krzyabncanuck said:
I have 35's under my 60 also with the 4.88 combo, and it drives just about right. On post here we have the police computers on the side of the road that tell you how fast you are going and for me to be going 45 my speedo says 49. About 1 mile for every 10 miles off if that makes since.

than my speedo says?
interesting ;)

majanrk said:
So guys with 4.88's n 35's what is your cruising speed down the highway?

I was going to ask the same question too. I was thinking of the 4.88's also but decided on the 4.11's will see how she does and hopefully I won't regret not going with the 4.88's.

havent run the highway yet

majanrk said:
So guys with 4.88's n 35's what is your cruising speed down the highway?

still breaking it in.

short 15-20 min trips around town.

it'l see the highway tomorrow.

i'm prolly figuring top speed at 3000 rpms maybe around 65-70 mph

Thats what i was getting stock. Is that bad for the engine to be turning that high? Right now i have 33's with the 3.73's but i'm thinking of going 4.11 to get the stock ratio back.

nope!

BlueCruiser84 said:
Thats what i was getting stock. Is that bad for the engine to be turning that high? Right now i have 33's with the 3.73's but i'm thinking of going 4.11 to get the stock ratio back.

but i dont like runnin it above 3k rpm's on the hwy,gas milage goes down.

dont care about being in the slow lane on the hwy.as long as i'm pullin the hills :D

allright sweet that reassures me a little, and i'm in the slow lane anyways AND i can't pull hills.

Thanks,
Brian

make sense i guess

BlueCruiser84 said:
allright sweet that reassures me a little, and i'm in the slow lane anyways AND i can't pull hills.

Thanks,
Brian

even when i had 4.11's in my 60.
the colorado hills will put you in the right lane anyway,unless your runnin modified 2f or 350.

so why not make it easier on the truck.

" i am slower traffic"

I'm here in the flat land and can run 80-85 mph down the highway all day no problem. With 4.88 and 35's and stock everything else drivetrain wise. And that running about 2800 rpm.

4 spd or 5 spd??

krzyabncanuck said:
I'm here in the flat land and can run 80-85 mph down the highway all day no problem. With 4.88 and 35's and stock everything else drivetrain wise. And that running about 2800 rpm.

mines a 84 60 4spd

I just dropped my 87 HJ60 (diesel) off to get 4.88s installed and they are now saying its going to take all week and cost about $1500 after getting everything apart. The 5hrs you talk about above, was that for front and rear diff gear swaps?

I have the stock 4 speed in it .

I hope 1500 is for the gears and installation, with new bearings and all. If not , that is steep. I pulled both of mine in the morning and by 9pm it was back on the road with new gears.

zander said:
I just dropped my 87 HJ60 (diesel) off to get 4.88s installed and they are now saying its going to take all week and cost about $1500 after getting everything apart. The 5hrs you talk about above, was that for front and rear diff gear swaps?

You'd want to drop the third members yourself and take them to the shop. If you ask the shop to do it from start to finish you are going to pay through the nose.

Dave

i run 4.11's with 35's and pull 5th allday with the 12HT!!!!!
also have a bj70 was 3B running 4.56's and Q78 swampers ( didnt like big hills thou),in the process of injected 350 and 5 link front- should fix those hills!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom