4.88's binding?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
install of my 4.88's is all done.
installed my front drive shaft sunday
pulled ot into the street,
put it in 4 hi
chirp,chirp goes the tires.....
take it out of 4 hi...
run it downn to the gravel road down from our house
4 hi again....seems like it's binding up,but it will roll, did drive it but 15-20 feet
4 low...same as 4 hi, seems like frt. or rear is slipping more than the other.and i had to back up to get it out of 4 low.
the gears in installed are SUPERIOR, both part# say lc488.

maybe i'm FREAKIN OUT but does this sound mormal for 4.88's?

i'm think'n i'll bring to work tomorrow and put it on a lift and make sure both axles are turning the same.

any comments on runnin lower gears,is this normal???

thanx in advance !!!!!

Not normal at all. I assume neither end has a locker? If you do have a locker that might cause it to chirp.

Honestly, it sounds like you have different gear ratios front and rear. Did you check the gears and count teeth before the install? You can figure out the ratios while installed. Put the T-case in neutral, jack up one tire and rotate. Count the # of driveshaft revolutions for a complete rotation of the wheel. Do the same front and rear. They should be exactly equal.

Cruiserdrew said:
Not normal at all. I assume neither end has a locker? If you do have a locker that might cause it to chirp.

Honestly, it sounds like you have different gear ratios front and rear. Did you check the gears and count teeth before the install? You can figure out the ratios while installed. Put the T-case in neutral, jack up one tire and rotate. Count the # of driveshaft revolutions for a complete rotation of the wheel. Do the same front and rear. They should be exactly equal.

rear is locked

nope, i didnt count them.... :frown:
i just figured they where right.....

gotta bring it to work to check the rotations.......................

THIS BLOWS!!!!!!

I will second the gear ratio being off, I would deffinately check it out and count the teeth.

i think i have this straight

90% turn of the tire will equal 4 turns of the pinion

try it out on the dirt..

4wd on the street = too much traction..

Mace said:
try it out on the dirt..

4wd on the street = too much traction..

i think i might try that again tonight.

i just have a hard time believing that i got a miss packed part. ;) (that never happens, me the parts guy saying this) :eek:

i can run 4wd in my 40 with 4.11's
are 4.88's that much harder to run on the pavement?

thanx mace

There should not be a difference between the 4.11's and the 4.88's as far as street manners. Was the locker in there before?

Jack up the tires and count the revolutions of the ds.

Put the truck in 2wd and lock the hubs.

Spin the rear tire 180* and count the DS revolutions.
Do the same in the front end.

Obviously the revlutions of the ds should be the same..

Mace said:
There should not be a difference between the 4.11's and the 4.88's as far as street manners. Was the locker in there before?

Jack up the tires and count the revolutions of the ds.

Put the truck in 2wd and lock the hubs.

Spin the rear tire 180* and count the DS revolutions.
Do the same in the front end.

Obviously the revlutions of the ds should be the same..

have always run the locker in the rear end......lock-rites

do i spin the tire 180* or 360*? either way correct? just have to count d/s rotations to see if they are the same front and back....

thanx mace
jim

could a drive shaft possably cause this?

i did not do a cut and turn on the frt axle,but ive had no problems runnin a rear mini p/u shaft.
i did have a new front shaft rebuilt.....

awwwwwwwwww crap, i'm just thinkin to much........ :crybaby:

180 or 360 it really does not matter. as long as you are accurate in the counting of revolutions of the DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom