4.88 ring and pinion with a Detroit Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Researched a bunch of posts before I did this, and decided on a 4.88 ratio for the semi float axle based on advice from the forum. I figured I'd post up some pics of how I did it for your congratulations, derision or curiosity.

I decided to grind the pin for a couple of reasons, a) it I screw it up it's a lot easier and cheaper to replace than my R&P, b) it has much less asked of it in the strength department than the ring. I did end up needing to grind the ring a bit, but it was much less than if I hadn't ground the pin. I think there's plenty of pin left to keep the axle shafts where they're supposed to be.

pin1.jpg

pin2.jpg

pin3.jpg

ring1.jpg

Hi All:

Well, I hope this works out for you, but I would have to imagine that modifying that cross shaft has violated the warranty terms of the Detroit Locker.

Regards,

Alan

I've been running this for a while already, with the stock gearing, so warranty is not an issue. With the 4.11 ring I had to grind one corner of the pin to fit it.

did you grind two teeth on the ring.??
just looks like it in the pic...

i only ground down one tooth and it was little over a 1/16 of clearance for 4.56 gear... is it that much thicker on the 4.88

Last edited:
I believe no teeth were ground for this install....you had to rotate the ring to find the perfect spot.

guess I'll find out when I do the front :p

I carefully remove the bearing cap without messing up the setup, insert pin bolt and put the cap back on.

the pic shows the gear tooth ground down...

As a follow up, I ended up having to remove one of the ring gear bolts in order to rotate the top of the center pin of the Detroit 180 deg after getting it past the ring gear. I love C-clip axles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom