4.88 Gears in LA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could anyone recommend somewhere that I could buy FJ80 4.88 gears in downtown LA. I will be there for a couple of days next month and it sure beats buying them at home in Australia for price.

contact justdifferentials and have them next day them to your location. They might be close enough that plain old ground will get them there next day. I set up a set of 4.88s a few months ago and they where real easy to install and ran quiet as can be.

Agreed, call just differentials and have them ship it to your location.

My work is 5 minutes away from downtown LA, and you can have them drop ship to me and I can hold on to them if your not sure of your location. Dont worry, I already have 4.88s on my rig :flipoff2:

While your at it, I would order the install kits to make it easier.

How easy/hard would you guys say a 4.88 install is on a locked truck for someone who has never set up a diff? :cheers:

How easy/hard would you guys say a 4.88 install is on a locked truck for someone who has never set up a diff? :cheers:
Its not easy, some experience is required.
Here is the link to Zuks website, showing how he set up my gears.

Toyota gear install

Its not easy, some experience is required.
Here is the link to Zuks website, showing how he set up my gears.

Toyota gear install

Thanks. Could you get me a link to where you bought your ring and pinions, bearings, and other parts. Also, where did you get it all cryo-treated. What did it end up running you? :cheers:

I bought everything from justdifferentials.com and them drop ship everything to ZUK(gearinstalls.com)

ZUK took the gears and bearings to a place that cryo treated them. I shipped my 3rds to ZUK and he got them back to me real quick.

Cant wait to get the car back on the road and off my jack stands. I should be done with everything this weekend. Since I had to pull the axles, i thought it was a good time to do a knuckle rebuild.

Gears

Ya call justdifferentials:)

Could anyone recommend somewhere that I could buy FJ80 4.88 gears in downtown LA. I will be there for a couple of days next month and it sure beats buying them at home in Australia for price.

Agreed, call just differentials and have them ship it to your location.

My work is 5 minutes away from downtown LA, and you can have them drop ship to me and I can hold on to them if your not sure of your location. Dont worry, I already have 4.88s on my rig :flipoff2:

While your at it, I would order the install kits to make it easier.

PM sent

contact justdifferentials and have them next day them to your location. They might be close enough that plain old ground will get them there next day. I set up a set of 4.88s a few months ago and they where real easy to install and ran quiet as can be.

Thanks to Harrry and JustDifferentials, I'm back at home now with a set of 5.29's I dont think it could have worked out any better, thanks guys and a job well done.

I see he made out. FYI to any others considering gears: I just had 4.88's installed and I went through the local supplier because it would save me a few bucks. :doh:After a week and a half worth of s.o. parts that were wrong after 2 tries, I finally got my money back and ordered through Randys ring and pinion which came through for me.

Local shop said their book didnt differentiate between lockers and not, etc,etc. Go through JT's because it will end up the same $$, and they know EXACTLY what you will need the first time. Learn from my bone-headedness..

Thanks to Harrry and JustDifferentials, I'm back at home now with a set of 5.29's I dont think it could have worked out any better, thanks guys and a job well done.
Brian,

It was a pleasure meeting you Saturday. I wish we could have spend some time in vegas. Chime in when the gears are in and you are enjoying them. I want to know how they crawl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom