4/72 FJ40 Distributor Spring Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am the third owner of my 4/72 FJ40. It has the original f engine and with the exception of the Holley 2300 carb, its very stock. I feel certain it sat outdoors in storage for a long time. Because of this, I pulled the distributer to rebuild it and found the springs on the centrifugal advance as shown in the picture below

The assembly drawing for this distributor in the FSM is poor quality, but it looks like both springs should be the same as the lower spring in the picture. Is the upper spring with the with the long loop correct?

I also included a picture of the part number tag on the side of the distributor. This is the correct distributor for my engine. The reason I am asking is even when I slide the distributor cam down over the pins on the centrifugal weights, the weight with the spring with the big loop seems sloppy and not under enough spring tension to function correctly. Thank you for reading my post.

20211106_122107.jpg

20211116_150120.jpg

The springs should be different, just like in your photo. The one spring with the long loop is intended to only kick in towards the end of the mechanical advance curve. When you rotate the cam you'll notice that that spring just elongates a small amount at maximum cam rotation.

BTW, I can set you up with a vacuum advance distributor if you'd like to upgrade, but you'd need to have an advance port added to your carburetor. I can do either points or Toyota electronic ignition. PM me if interested in looking at options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom