4.7 Tundra Drivetrain in Jeep Grand Wagoneer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody, I just finished my '70 FJ40 resto and have the green light to start my next project. I picked up a complete '87 Grand Wagoneer (FSJ) for $600 and plan to make it a nice DD. My issue is the truck has 109k on it and the 360ci is a heavy engine and only produced 140hp stock so they got 8-10mpg when new. My family has a couple early Tundra SR5s and I love the 4.7v8. I was wondering if anyone has transplanted the Toyo 4.7 and auto into a non toyo for a reliable DD conversion? I am keen on also using the T-case but haven't looked into it.
My overall question is what parts/ ecu's, gauge cluster parts/ shifters? are needed to make a Jeep grand wagon a full 4.7 Toyo drivetrain?
I am not worried about engine/ tranny mounts and frame mods at this time, just want to know if it's possible
Thanks,
Brent
Roanoke, Va

Hey everybody, I just finished my '70 FJ40 resto and have the green light to start my next project. I picked up a complete '87 Grand Wagoneer (FSJ) for $600 and plan to make it a nice DD. My issue is the truck has 109k on it and the 360ci is a heavy engine and only produced 140hp stock so they got 8-10mpg when new. My family has a couple early Tundra SR5s and I love the 4.7v8. I was wondering if anyone has transplanted the Toyo 4.7 and auto into a non toyo for a reliable DD conversion? I am keen on also using the T-case but haven't looked into it.
My overall question is what parts/ ecu's, gauge cluster parts/ shifters? are needed to make a Jeep grand wagon a full 4.7 Toyo drivetrain?
I am not worried about engine/ tranny mounts and frame mods at this time, just want to know if it's possible
Thanks,
Brent
Roanoke, Va
Anything is possible, but if you're looking for a roadmap to complete the proposed swap, I doubt you'll find it here (or anywhere).

nah I just assumed people on mud may have used the tundra 4.7 drivetrain in other vehicles like FJ55, 60,62,80 and they would be similar due to the age and lack of abs, ecu's, etc.

Or if you are set on a motor swap go some type of LS. Tundra drivetrain is great but the support for LS type motor swaps makes the choice between the two a nobrainer.

nah I just assumed people on mud may have used the tundra 4.7 drivetrain in other vehicles like FJ55, 60,62,80 and they would be similar due to the age and lack of abs, ecu's, etc.

This thread might help:

put a 90's Ram Magnum 360 in it. Why make your life hard.

I have a Chevy 383 stroker balance and blue printed, with a Holley Stealth Ram multi port fuel injection set up I am selling. Comes with the harness. It was built in 2012 run in a trail truck, so shouldn't have a tone of miles on it.

Thank for the info. I am very far out from the engine needs just want to know if I need to be cleaning up frame rails and new mounts when I start the tear down and any rust work to the truck. I like the idea of freshening up the 360 with EFI, exhaust, 700r4 tranny, manual locking hubs and any other power limiters I can tackle but I keep hearing that due to the weight and mild build of the stock engine, its just wasted money bc it will only gain a couple MPG.
So for the price an LS with 4L60e seems to be the best BfB.
I am interested in the Magnum 360 swap you talked about

Here is the benchmark:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom