4.7 or 5.7? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
The choice is obvious when looking at the sticker price, but a dealer in town is working on getting rid of 4.7s

same truck outfitted the way I want it

Double cab, short bed, SR5, TRD, tow package.

4.7 = $28K
5.7 = $35K

I need to be able to tow my 55 on the trailer. About 7000 lbs. maybe 10 times a year. 7K is well within the tow capacity of both engines.

What to do?

I'm not up to snuff on the new model choices. Is the 4.7 the old body style? if so offer them 20k for the old one.

$7000 for another liter. :)

You're going to be driving it sans-trailer most of the time and won't need the bigger motor. Plus, knowing you Todd, you'll find another motor is throw in there down the road anyway. :D Save the $7000 bucks and spend it on some pig stuff.

if towing is your objective, go big. I've got a old style tundra, and towing a 22' boat which is not even near 7000 lbs is noticeable on hills.

5.7 for me if I were you. I want one too but they're still dealing at window and I'm just buying time here. Good luck!

Do they still make the supercharger for the 2UZ?

If so, that might be cheaper than the bigger engine...

They're dealing at window on the ones everybody wants, but they're moving on the 4.7s.

Problem is that the 4.7 also comes with the smaller trans and the smaller rear end.

I think I came up with a solution (a tundrasolution ;) ) at lunch when I was at the dealership.

It's probably blasphamy to say here on 'Mud, but the 2WD gave me the right price with the big engine. Better towing, acceleration and handling too. I think that might be the way I go.

I could see myself saying "I wish I bought the bigger engine", but I really can't think of too many times I would wish for 4wd with my tow rig.

Besides if the traction control is as good as the FJC, I'd never need to put it in 4wd.

If they call back with the right price, I might have a new truck here shortly.

Last edited:
Hmm... truck w/o 4WD IS blasphamy. My friend with a 2WD F150 almost got stuck beach launching a little fishing boat. I'd rather have a smaller engine 4WD than big engine 2WD.

If you're not going to be towing a lot, 4.7 would suffice. If you ARE going to tow, get a TD.

I think so.

I think I need a bigger driveway.
needbiggerdrive.jpg
tundraand80.jpg

Hmm, thats a funny snorkle you have on the Tundra.......

Looks almost like a mailbox:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom