#4, 60 series root beer brown, body work and paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kelly saad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
This vehicle is having the motor rebuilt now, so they better not scratch the paint when they install it :D or should it be this :mad: ??

This will be the original color also, I am excited to spray this brown color in new modern paint, wet sand and polish it. I think it will be nice.

This thread will move slowly, as I must complete the gray #3 first. We will be working on this when we have some spare time.

The project:
1. Disassemble vehicle, remove doors, tailgate and hatch.
2. Prep jambs.
3. Replace passenger side fender.
4. Close all holes in rocker panels from trim.
5. Remove seam sealer in roof gutters, and windshield area, repair any rust, seal again.
6. New lower door skin replacement panels, Lower tailgate replacement panel. Sand blast remaining rust, seal bare metal with POR-15, new seam sealer.
7. New quarter panels and any rusted sections of inner fenders.
8. Paint jambs and install doors, hatch and tailgate.
9. Exterior paint, B/C, wet sand, and polish.

IMG_0930.JPG
IMG_0931.JPG

The replacement fender had rust on all the attachment points where it bolts on. I decided to sand blast the areas and treat it before it is bolted on. Also, I blasted the lower inside so that it can be sealed up and assure there will be no surprises in the future. Also, I will probably paint the inside before I install it, I wont sleep at night thinking about the inside of this fender being blue, even if you cannot see it.

Shown in this photo, after sand blasting.

IMG_0929.JPG

Are you redoing the body decals for this customer?
I would have in the base coat but they will have decals made instead. They want to keep the stripes though.

Looking forward to seeing the results. I'd really like to paint my root beer 84 in the next year or two...even though plenty of people tell me they love its patina.

He should really consider moving to Vermont. :rofl:
That wouldn't work out well at all. You guys don't have any rust problems up there in the north east. I would have no work. :rimshot:

I have had some help here at the shop, so I’m able to show some progress on this vehicle again. Sanded doors.

View attachment 2401993

Wut? is this flapper wheel on grinder work? Was there any paint stripping operation done first or just straight up sander on pant down to bare metal?

Wut? is this flapper wheel on grinder work? Was there any paint stripping operation done first or just straight up sander on pant down to bare metal?
Paint stripper then Eastwood contour drum sander.

This hood has some odd rust that developed underneath the paint. It was rusty everywhere. I had my helper use the 80 grit drum first to get most of the rust off, then throughly go over it with the 120 drum.

8D78ABAD-53AA-428F-92CA-1970E0B6B05D.jpeg
698929B2-2789-4FC5-9936-692B76BED554.jpeg

This hood has some odd rust that developed underneath the paint. It was rusty everywhere. I had my helper use the 80 grit drum first to get most of the rust off, then throughly go over it with the 120 drum.

View attachment 2407218View attachment 2407219

Once you get these down to bare metal how much time can you let them sit before they start to rust in the air? Or is your humid so low that it’s not something you have to worry to much about? Also do you strip the inside of the hood down too and if so do you have to media blast to get in all the folds and structure under there?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom