4.56 GEARS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm considering putting in 4.56's and have a few questions:

1) I'd like to have lower gears and lockers front and rear. I'm assuming the best option would be to buy both front and rear pumpkins with 4.56 gearing and lockers ? I'm a gear novice, so maybe I'm not using the correct terminology ??
2) What is the best brand for a 97 FZJ80 and where would I get them ?

I read a thread talking about Slee's ability to procure toyota 4.56's from an offshore souce, but are Toyota gears the best ?

Thank you,

Matt

Someone said there is lower gears for the 80 t-case.
Don't know if it would be cheaper or beter.

Factory 4.56 locking diffs that come in some PZJ70/73/75 would fit in the 80 series. The front 4.56 locking diff off an LJ7_ or RJ7_ will fit the 80, but not the rear.

Dave

I dont know how "economical" it would be to run toyota gears other than your 4.11s. i do know that i just did 4.88s and got them really reasonably priced from kurt at www.cruiseroutfitters.com although if you are doing lockers at the same time it might not be a bad idea to get whole new thirds (with lockers already installed)form randys ring and pinion so you can just drop them in ............

[quote author=The Beast II link=board=2;threadid=8187;start=msg69214#msg69214 date=1070156471]
I'm considering putting in 4.56's and have a few questions:

1) I'd like to have lower gears and lockers front and rear. I'm assuming the best option would be to buy both front and rear pumpkins with 4.56 gearing and lockers ?
[/quote]

I am not aware of this from Toyota. I assume you mean diff's already loaded with ARB's and 4.56 gears. Yes, you can do that, but I am not aware of any of the shops like Randy's or Reider Racing currently offering it for the 80. . I might be wrong. Haven't check in the last month or so.

[quote author=The Beast II link=board=2;threadid=8187;start=msg69214#msg69214 date=1070156471]

2) What is the best brand for a 97 FZJ80 and where would I get them ?
[/quote]

The Toyota ones would be the best quality in machining which translates to easy and good setup. However they are 2.5 times the cost of any gears you can get locally. Are they stronger, not sure. I just broke a genuine Toyota set recently. I do know from experience that they set up better than the aftermarket ones. I think it is just better tollerances and quality control.

I read a thread talking about Slee's ability to procure toyota 4.56's from an offshore souce, but are Toyota gears the best ?

Thank you,

Matt
[/quote]

Yes, we can get them. However, I would suggest that you get a shop that can do the regearing for you, and have them source the parts. If they know how to do the work, they should know where to get the parts. Also, makes it easier for warrantee etc. etc.

We can set up diff's with gears and ARB's and ship them. However for someone as small as us, this might create huge warrantee issues. What if you get it, install it and it is noisy. Then we have to try and resolve it. It might not even have anything to do the with the gears, but it is difficult to sort that kind of thing out on the phone. Now the big boys like Randy's, Reider, West Coast, might just send you a new one. Not sure how they handle it.

For regearing, ask who has had it done locally, get referrences and go see the guy.

www.marks4WD.com was the source for the t-case for the 91 and 92 t-case (and so...the mighty 3FE rises again).

Of course...they haven't gone out of prototype and no hopes of production anytime soon....but hey...they have pictures! ;)

Christo

Are you saying they have made "new" gear set for the transfer case or do they have a gear reduction box for the 80 series?

What is the reduction in low range from the 2.488 factory ratio?

Get one for the short bus!

Joe

hey christo,
i have a box coming from oz maybe there is room for that reduction box as i would like one too!
jeff

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=2;threadid=8187;start=msg69257#msg69257 date=1070168556]
Factory 4.56 locking diffs that come in some PZJ70/73/75 would fit in the 80 series. The front 4.56 locking diff off an LJ7_ or RJ7_ will fit the 80, but not the rear.

Dave
[/quote]

You can get the 8" toyota hi-pinion (reverse cut gears) front diff for live axle at Inchworm Gear in 4.1, 4.3, 4.56 for about $800. I believe these will fit the 60/80/earlier mini-trucks w/ live front axles. They sell both 8" hi-pinion and normal cut, but the latter isn't of any help (well, maybe when you'll in reverse trying to pull your buddy out?)

Man, I have haggled them about the 91-92 forever....arrrg!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom