4.56 gears with 295/75s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just mentally considering where my next chunk of change might be thrown. When I replace my 285/75s, I'll be doing 295/75s.

Would 4.56 gears be a good idea? Worth the trouble and cash?
Should I wait for the inevitable Air Locker install to do the gears?

Opinions?

Hayes

I would wait to do lockers and gears at the same time that way you are tearing everything down only once and it would be cheaper to do them both at the same time IMHO.

the change is height between the two tires is so minimal that I doubt you would notice a HUGE difference. I would not regear to 4.56 if you plan on adding lockers later. The labor is the same if you install the locker or just new gears, but if you do them seperately, you have to pay for it twice.

I'd wait until the locker install to swap gears. You'll be digging around in the same guts for both jobs -- unless you want to spend twice for labor.

Depending on what brand tire you're going with, it's not a big difference between 285's and 295's.

BFG AT's, for example, only list a .02" difference.

4.56 gears with 33 inch tires are similar to 4.88's with 35's. A bit of mechanical advantage is gained but hiway RPM's are not dramaticly increased.

shocker said:
Depending on what brand tire you're going with, it's not a big difference between 285's and 295's.

BFG AT's, for example, only list a .02" difference.

Agreed. Based purely on math you're gaining a total of 15mm of height over the 285s, but half of that is on the top half of the tire, so the truck will sit 7.5mm taller in an ideal world.

Ary

Do both at the same time you'll save money. I just regeared and installed ff/rr ARB's, the labor was the same for installing both or just one. I'm staying with 33's so 4:56 gears was exactly what I needed.

I read your install post, Biff. Nice work. How's the rig driving?

I'm sticking with ~33s too, so it sounds like 4.56 is the way to go. Air lockers are quite a way off in my long term plan (I'll never get $2500 past the budget comittee), so I was contemplating doing the gears sooner. Sounds like I should wait anyway.

Hayes

Hayes said:
I read your install post, Biff. Nice work. How's the rig driving?

I'm sticking with ~33s too, so it sounds like 4.56 is the way to go. Air lockers are quite a way off in my long term plan (I'll never get $2500 past the budget comittee), so I was contemplating doing the gears sooner. Sounds like I should wait anyway.

Hayes

Drives pretty good, a tad quicker than what I originally had.

Well I know how it feels to have a budget comittee, took me over a year of lobying to get my lockers passed. I would wait if I were you or maybe you can get a rear locker only. To this date I still have not used my front locker.

The budget comitte is typically much more fiscally sensible than the Cruiser Upgrade lobby. I've found it wise--but less entertaining--to submit to their judgement.

I probably WILL skip the front locker, too.

Hayes

There is just no way I'm EVER gonna do a gear swap to 4.56's. I recently rode in a truck that went from 4.11's to 4.56's. It was severely disappointing; we barely noticed any difference. Even with the 33's I'm running now, I'd STILL go with 4.88 or nothing at all. Can I getta WHAT WHAT ?

Godzilla FJ80 said:
There is just no way I'm EVER gonna do a gear swap to 4.56's. I recently rode in a truck that went from 4.11's to 4.56's. It was severely disappointing; we barely noticed any difference. Even with the 33's I'm running now, I'd STILL go with 4.88 or nothing at all. Can I getta WHAT WHAT ?

I noticed a diffrence in my rig, my friend has 4.88's in his cruiser with 35s and it drives the same as mine with 33's. But both drive better than my original 4.11's.

Biff said:
I noticed a diffrence in my rig, my friend has 4.88's in his cruiser with 35s and it drives the same as mine with 33's. But both drive better than my original 4.11's.

I would have to agree with Victor on this one. I also think that 4.88 and 33's might be a little rough on the highway with the revs going pretty high.

We need a Marlin....Marlin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom