4.3L(264ci) V6 FI2002 inFJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:)I was thinking of trying a Chev V6 in a stock FJ60 Using a Mark's bell-houseing adapter.Any ideas vs V-8 (HP,Torque,Economy etc)and would the wireing be extemely complicated. Thanks Bill

Same or more work & adapter expense, disappointing results v V8. Get a Vortec 5.7 - you'll love it.

The Vortec 4.3 V6 puts out much more power than the 2F. GM describes this engine as, "...Strong torque, high specific power and smooth operation make the Vortec 4300 V6 a perfect fit for sport utility and commercial applications requiring performance, reliability and durability."

Displacement: 4300cc

Configurations: Overhead Valves (2 valves per cylinder).

Horsepower: 190-195 hp @ 4400-4600 rpm

Torque: 250-260 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm

Applications: GMC Safari, Savanna, Chevrolet: Silverado, Express, Chevrolet Astro/Express

What is disappointing about the performance of this engine in a 40 or a 60?

M

This sounds like it may be the swap for me, I either want to go for this or a 4bt

Mike- much less low-end torque. makes the purpose of what a cruiser was built for (going slow), something completely different. look at the curves between Toyota's engines and that V6 and tell me you'd rather the 4.3 for poking around the hills. Maybe if one were rallying more it would be suitable?

blake- if you're seriously considering a swap, pick something inline vs opposing cylinders

Well, I guess everything is a compromise. The 4.3 Vortec is pretty torquey down to about 1800 RPM. Many people swap engines because they want better highway performance. I like the 2F for backcuntry work, but it sucks pulling a trailer over Lolo Pass.

There is a potentially great GM engine for a cruiser - the Vortec I6 with 275 HP that is used in the Trailblazer. Unfortunately the configuration on it is such that you cannot readily change transmissions and are thus limited to a Chevy drive train. Not the best of all possible worlds.

Go Toyota turbodiesel is my idea.

M

Mike S said:
There is a potentially great GM engine for a cruiser - the Vortec I6 with 275 HP that is used in the Trailblazer. Unfortunately the configuration on it is such that you cannot readily change transmissions and are thus limited to a Chevy drive train. Not the best of all possible worlds.

Go Toyota turbodiesel is my idea.

M

Not saying it's a bad motor cus I dunno but when I drove the trailblazer it seemed flat until the mid range.

...how about a 4.3 out of the typhoon/cyclone :D

Texican is doing (has done) a fantastic tech write-up on a 4.3 swap into an FJ-40. I believe it is in the 40/45 tech section. Lots of pics, and drive info. He even installed Vintage Air unit. Then see what you think. (I can't believe I'm saying this, as I'm a hard-bitten diesel guy . . . .)

Edit: here is the link: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=43710

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom