4.3 Vortec swap question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Full_Throttle

1985 BJ73 RHD
Threads
I own a '94 S-10 Blazer witha 4.3 vortec(CPI) engine. Last year I had the Auto completely rebuilt, and it has maybe 10,000 miles on it. The engine has many new parts, and has just started burning oil. I suspect bad ring. It smokes bad. Anyway, I also have a '72 FJ40 that has the inline 6, 3 speed manual that needs restoring. I would like to rebuild the 4.3 and along with the new auto swap them into the cruiser. I can use the Blazer as a doner for computer, seats, ect.
My question is in reguards to the transfer case. I know I can get advance adapters to make it line up, but do I have other options? What would you guys do? I currently have drum brakes on the front, so I need to do a disk brake conversion on the front, so that might make a difference in if I can get a transfer case with the output on the "other" side, and then a front axle setup w/disk brakes to match ,ect. What are your thoughts??? :popcorn: I await the responces... ;)

Keep it in the family and throw a 3.4 liter 5VZ in it..

:D
:popcorn:

There is a 4.3L build up thread in the hardcore section that may help you

Try the new ZZ572 from GM.......

Question again

OK, let me re-ask the question. I wish to learn what options I have in a transfer case. I want to use the 4.3/auto I currently own. I also have the transfer case that came in my s-10, but it is a push-button version, and the front output is on the driverside. I know I can go to advance adapters, but I wish to know if there are any transfer cases that will bolt up to my auto and have the correct outputs to keep my axles. I also need to do a front disk conversion, so maybe the front output is a moot point, since I could just get an axle to match the transfer output. I have rebuilt several old cars (Mustangs, torinos, even had a 69' road runner) but I am new to off road and still learning. I am not afraid to fabricate my own stuff, but my skills I would rate as average. I am not looking for a super rock crawler. Heck, I live in southern Illinois, there's not many places that 33" tires wont do anyway :)
So to sum up, I need transfer case options. I have the stock transfer case, but the advance adapters are expensive. I have the stock s-10 transfer case, but I don't know it's strength, plus it is a drivers side front output. Opinions please...thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom