4-21-07 Run - Rio Puerco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang sounds like I missed a lot of fun. I still haven't got to go play with my new set up. I've been in Vegas for the last two weeks or so. :crybaby: If I am back by this weekend 4-wheeling will be mandatory.

Cheers
-Noah

During the lunch break on this Puerco trip we took some time to check the wheel stuffing after all the recent changes on my truck. At one point, the LF and RR were off the ground with the truck teetering on 2 wheels.

I asked if everyone had seen the Hummer video with the guy on the ramp (wife and dog in the vehicle.) A few said they haven't seen this one so here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFCRa0PKNXE&mode=related&search=

-Mike-

BTW, how come no pics of me in action?

Last edited:
Carnage

Pics say it all. Dang.

Last edited:
Ouch!

So, I guess this is an opportune time to ask (and sorry to hi-jack Jon):

Where is a good drive shaft place around here that'll do Toyota joints?

I had to "teach" the tech at the place in OH on the in-phase/out-of-phase distinction on the 80 series, and he did not "like" dealing with Toyota (ie: Koyo) joints.....

Anyway, good for future reference when I do something like this to my shafts....

Thanks.
-onur

Albuquerque Driveshafts downtown (4th and Summer) is where I go. Not the greatest, but they get the job done. I think U-Joints also does driveshafts, but my experience with them has been limited to differential gearing.

I think U-Joints also does driveshafts...

I'm pretty sure that's where Juane got his redone, ahem, several times.

BTW, that was priceless when Ali asked over the radio what "pulling a Tobascofish" was. He's gone but not forgotten.

Another for Greg.

Last edited:
Albuquerque Driveshafts downtown (4th and Summer) is where I go. Not the greatest, but they get the job done. I think U-Joints also does driveshafts, but my experience with them has been limited to differential gearing.

Abq Driveline(driveshafts) has done a few for me. they stocked the mini truck U-joints and flanges including the CV end. they have seemed knowledgeable (compared to my somewhat lack of it concerning D shafts).

What is "pulling a tobascofish"?

Twisting a driveshaft on the rocks. Really, Juane is the master.

Pics say it all. Dang.

I have those same white rock markings on both rear lower control arms. My rear drive shaft just barely escaped identical damage.

-Mike-

That driveshaft ledge is a good example of stop and look before proceeding further, wish I listened to my own advice. I narrowly escaped the same fate due to the additional skids on the rear arms. This elevated me just enough to escape DS injury I suspect.

Also, contrary to most 80s, I placed the slip joint near the pinion vs the stock configuration. My theory is at least this way, there's less diameter to come into contact with obstacles. However, this maybe a more expensive repair when/if the time comes. I dunno.

Hey guys! This is Rudy. I joined the guys on Rio Puerco run. I am that itty bitty 4Runner behind Greg in the pic that Jon posted. Just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys that made me feel welcomed. Just sitting in and listening a bit has helped. I have quite a bit work to do on my 40, but look forward to getting into this quite more often. Had a lot of fun even with a stock truck. Thanks again!

That driveshaft ledge is a good example of stop and look before proceeding further, wish I listened to my own advice. I narrowly escaped the same fate due to the additional skids on the rear arms. This elevated me just enough to escape DS injury I suspect.

Also, contrary to most 80s, I placed the slip joint near the pinion vs the stock configuration. My theory is at least this way, there's less diameter to come into contact with obstacles. However, this maybe a more expensive repair when/if the time comes. I dunno.

Ali--are you talking about the orientation of your DS? For both front and rear. On mine, and I think this is stock, the slip joint on the front DS is at the diff./pinion end, and on the rear DS it is at the xfer case side. So, your's is opposite of this?

Any driveability issues (vibs, clunks, etc.)?

As always, interesting....

When I was out with Onur last week, I made it up that same ledge. Took a nasty bump to pull it off and some scraping. I'm lower and have less lift than you guys (Ali and Mike) that did it over the weekend. My left rear arm looks a little tweeked (barely) but not bad. I also have one stripe on my DS but no real metal damage.

If you noticed, I drove around this one with the group last weekend. I think I'll pass in the future as well and have learned a good lesson.

Now, Onur, on the other hand, jammed up that sucker. He bumped the rear so hard with his tires, that I saw about 8 inches of elevation (tires floating int he air) above the lip while the front pulled him through. I haven't stopped dreaming of bigger tires and more lift since.

G

PS I'm heading out this morning with Ralph to give the Quad a try. He got his Heep fixed so I'm going solo on the Arctic Cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom