4.11 gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sj

Threads
I have decided not to wait and try to find a 4.11's w/locker and just buy some from an Fj62. So I want to clear some things up first. Lets say I buy two 3rd members from an fj62, cruiserparts.net sells them for $250. All I have to do is remove my 3rd member and bolt in one from an FJ62? I have an 1987 FJ60. I don't need to worry about flanges, driveshafts, axle shafts or anything along those lines?

Second, what about from a third member from an FJ55. I have a complete axle sitting in my Dad's backyard. Can I steal that one and bolt it straight on, assuming my brother dosen't find out, which is unlikly as he is on this board more then me.

Thanks
Sean

The diffs from cruiser parts will work fine, the diff from the 55 would work, but you would need to re-drill the bolt pattern for it to work.

Go with the ones that will bolt right in. Less screwin' around.

Good luck!

-Steve

FWIW the small change from 3.70 to 4.10 IS very nice and noticible improvment, worth while doing IMOP. I'm very happy with my 4.10's, 2f, 33.'s, 4 speed(yeah I will do a 5 speed someday)

The 55 diff will not work. The gearing would be right, but pinion flange on the earlier diffs is cast and not round, so you would have to change the driveshaft. Plus, the FJ55 would have a course spline pinion, which is not as strong as the fine spline one on the FJ62. So I would order the ones from Cruiserparts.net which will bolt up without modifications. That gearing change is a nice match for the FJ-60, but you do loose a bit of that overdrive effect on the highway.

Thanks for the input. I hope to order them soon. I just bought new 33 inch MTRs, they should be put on in the next week or so, I want to put 4.11s in as soon as poissible.

Sean

Is my math right? FJ62 diffs will turn 33s like they're 30s, right?

3.73/4.10 x 33 = 30?

So no power loss, and 1.5 inches additional clearance?

Just curious, in case I run across some diffs one day. . . .

Hey little brother-- that FJ55 rear end in Dad's backyard has a round aftermarket pinion flange with two sets of holes. It is course splined, but maybe one of those hole sets corresponds to the late FJ60 pattern. I think the landcruiser faq may list the different hole patterns and give their measurments.

Jared

Swapped out the complete assembly ft and rr in mine. A little more grunt work, but the 62 front is beefier , has a welded truss. 60 mph tached about 3000 rpms. Fixed that with the h55f! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom