4.10 vs 4.11 gear ratio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.oregongrain.com
I need to put to rest a thought I had the other day. I'm putting a e-locker in my front axle and want to know a thing or two about a thing or two...

80s diff gear ratio is 4.10

1978 diff gear ration is 4.11

They look different on paper...but are they really?

.01 is a common difference.....being even .03+ off was common for many, and won't effect offroadability (9" versus D44, etc)

bull said:
They look different on paper...but are they really?

Ring gear # of teeth / Pinion gear # of teeth

37/9 vs 41/10

I once heard that Willys used to put higher gears in the front diff so it would tend to pull the front end a little faster than the rear. Keep it pointed. Couldn't find any evidence though.

Last edited:
I hope it doesn't matter. That's exactly what I'm doing.

I thought about that too, Rodney, but figured the difference was too small to be of concern. How is the install going?

Todd.

I guess the difference in tires and from inflation and deflation can be something like upto .05 in gear ration difference. There is a famous ford that is a 3.54 in the front and 3.50 in the rear.. Less than 4.10 and 4.11 if you get my drift.. Sereiously, on or off payment, it is all a non issue that I wouldn't put much thought into.. I asked this same question years ago before my install on Pirate, and got the same exact response I have now just posted, and they were all right..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom