4-1/2" Metabo grinder, a new style or old? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been reading about grinders and Metabo seams to have a good reputation,

but apparently they have recently redesigned their grinders and currently you have a choice between the two, I am a bit gun shy of redesigns, use to be the latest was the greatest, but as of late they rarely seam to be for the better, more often things are redesigned for the cheaper,

Anybody had one of the new style yet? are they still made in Germany? better? worse? just different?

old style W 7-115
Amazon.com: Metabo W7-115 8.0 Amp 4-1/2-inch Angle Grinder: Home Improvement

New style W 8-115
Amazon.com: Metabo W8-115 8.0 Amp 4-1/2-inch Angle Grinder: Home Improvement

W8
Maximum Torque 19.5 inch lbs
Amps 8.0
Tool weight 5.4 lbs.
Length 11.75"

W7
Torque 21 in-lbs
Rated current 7 A
Weight (without mains cable) 4 lbs
length 11"

Ten years ago that was the best grinder I have ever seen, we went through Makitas quickly and the Metabo held up far far better.

I have been reading about grinders and Metabo seams to have a good reputation,

but apparently they have recently redesigned their grinders and currently you have a choice between the two, I am a bit gun shy of redesigns, use to be the latest was the greatest, but as of late they rarely seam to be for the better, more often things are redesigned for the cheaper,

Anybody had one of the new style yet? are they still made in Germany? better? worse? just different?

old style W 7-115
Amazon.com: Metabo W7-115 8.0 Amp 4-1/2-inch Angle Grinder: Home Improvement

New style W 8-115
Amazon.com: Metabo W8-115 8.0 Amp 4-1/2-inch Angle Grinder: Home Improvement

W8
Maximum Torque 19.5 inch lbs
Amps 8.0
Tool weight 5.4 lbs.
Length 11.75"

W7
Torque 21 in-lbs
Rated current 7 A
Weight (without mains cable) 4 lbs
length 11"

Ten years ago that was the best grinder I have ever seen, we went through Makitas quickly and the Metabo held up far far better.

I have read that over and over, and they are not that much more than the others, a Dewalt (now made in China) is $90 at Lowes/HD.

I take it you are talking about the w7 style? any info on the W8 or should I just go for the known quantity?

I've had a w7-115 quick for about 5 years. Its just about my favorite tool. I bought it after talking with a welder/pipefitter who worked in the refineries around here for about 40 years - he claimed the metabo outlasted anything else by at least 3 to 1, and never overheated.

I have no experience with the new design, but if I were to choose between the two I'd get the new one for the claimed vibration reduction.

I have a w7-115 quick and it's definitely the s***. Of course first time I used it I cut the cord :whoops: . I have a few others, but that's always my main grinder. You'll spend more money on Metabo initially but you won't replace it. Buy it. Which design? Doesn't matter in my view.

Crushr Do you like the Quick feature? from reading the OM I get the idea it can only be used with "type 27 grinding disks", or possibly others as long as they that are of the same thickness, if it can be used with many different wheels it seams it would be nice not to hunt down the wrench to change wheels.

Edit: Junk same question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom