4,000 mile trip prep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I apologize if this is beat to death. I searched the 200 forum specifically for this information, and either I’m not wording correctly or it hasn’t been covered.

In mid July the family and I will be headed out west for a 10 day trip in the 200. I will be towing my military camp trailer.

As I’m still not super familiar with the 200 platform I’m looking for input on special tools/ spare parts to bring along. I don’t anticipate “hard” wheeling. Although the rig is more than setup for it.
I have an above average tool kit and background in repair.

I had a list of things to pack for my 100, but the 200 I don’t know where to start minus the basics.

I have -
compressor and tire kit
Matching spare
Hand tools
Basic fluids
Spare serpentine belt
Extra lug nuts (after market wheels)
Spare bearing set for the trailer
Adequate jack and tire tools
Wiring repair kit

Open to suggestions/ recommendations.

Not looking to take the whole house, but don’t want to not have something I need.

Pic because we all love pics.

D66B9D55-1082-435F-BD1D-6AF543E67FCB.jpeg

Sounds like a fun trip. Before a long journey like this one that you will be undertaking I would make sure all the usual PMs (fluid changes, spark plugs…etc) have been performed. No need to unnecessarily change these early but if you are near or above 100k and haven’t serviced the cooling system, spark plugs, transmission fluid…etc I’d knock them out before hand. Also if you have the original radiator with the old design I’d take a real close look and make sure there isn’t the dreaded crack forming on top.

I always bring a basic socket set and wrenches, Vise grips, duct tape, paracord/rope to name a few.

4000 miles is less then one oil change so no need to over think and pack. It’s easy to bring the whole kitchen sink like spare axles, tie rod ends but if you aren’t wheeling super hard there wouldn’t be need to bring anything out the ordinary from your days with the 100.

I'm a fan of carrying a lithium jump pack if you don't already own one. Also an OBD2 reader/scanner.

Sounds like a fun trip. Before a long journey like this one that you will be undertaking I would make sure all the usual PMs (fluid changes, spark plugs…etc) have been performed. No need to unnecessarily change these early but if you are near or above 100k and haven’t serviced the cooling system, spark plugs, transmission fluid…etc I’d knock them out before hand. Also if you have the original radiator with the old design I’d take a real close look and make sure there isn’t the dreaded crack forming on top.

I always bring a basic socket set and wrenches, Vise grips, duct tape, paracord/rope to name a few.

4000 miles is less then one oil change so no need to over think and pack. It’s easy to bring the whole kitchen sink like spare axles, tie rod ends but if you aren’t wheeling super hard there wouldn’t be need to bring anything out the ordinary from your days with the 100.

I planned on giving it a solid baseline before the trip.
Thankfully the radiator had been changed already. That was the first thing I checked when I got home with it.

I’ll add a few that I’ve found to be super, super helpful:
-Phone mount (I have a ram suction cup)
-Satellite enabled comms (Garmin inreach in my case)
-A couple hundred dollars cash

I just wrapped up a trip that was about 8k miles, and these are the ones that turned out to be super helpful for me. Between this year and last I’ve made three cross-country trips, totaling about 25k miles, and I’ve never had any major issues. I wouldn’t be overly stressed about it if you’ve kept up with standard PM and have no known issues.

Safe travels!

I apologize if this is beat to death. I searched the 200 forum specifically for this information, and either I’m not wording correctly or it hasn’t been covered.

In mid July the family and I will be headed out west for a 10 day trip in the 200. I will be towing my military camp trailer.

As I’m still not super familiar with the 200 platform I’m looking for input on special tools/ spare parts to bring along. I don’t anticipate “hard” wheeling. Although the rig is more than setup for it.
I have an above average tool kit and background in repair.

I had a list of things to pack for my 100, but the 200 I don’t know where to start minus the basics.

I have -
compressor and tire kit
Matching spare
Hand tools
Basic fluids
Spare serpentine belt
Wiring repair kit

Open to suggestions/ recommendations.

Not looking to take the whole house, but don’t want to not have something I need.

Pic because we all love pics.

View attachment 3015669

Key kit part many overlook:
In my experience, no 200 road trip kit is complete without a basic **ODB2 code reader**….but more specifically…the ability to *reset* codes should a code be thrown that needlessly disables a key function.

Needless loss of function examples can include (among others)… Limp mode, inability to shift into 4Lo. Loss of traction control, constant error messages over simple things such as an evap sensor.

Also… A reader can help you determine if a code is actually critically important (worth changing your route)…or not.

Keeping anxiety in check is useful for all on a long trip, and weird error codes can impact that.

Knowing what code is triggered could also mean a quick post to mud or call to your dealer could let you rest easy, vs bee-lining for unneeded help off your route.

Last edited:
I’ll add a few that I’ve found to be super, super helpful:
-Phone mount (I have a ram suction cup)
-Satellite enabled comms (Garmin inreach in my case)
-A couple hundred dollars cash

I just wrapped up a trip that was about 8k miles, and these are the ones that turned out to be super helpful for me. Between this year and last I’ve made three cross-country trips, totaling about 25k miles, and I’ve never had any major issues. I wouldn’t be overly stressed about it if you’ve kept up with standard PM and have no known issues.

Safe travels!

I have a quad lock phone Mount with wireless charging in my cart

A satellite communicator is on my short list to get, it would be great to have for most places we go.

Good point to others. I run on cash, I’ve had a card shut down on a weekend before and now I travel with cash. In fact I’m opposite of most people, I keep a card for emergency and cash for day to day.

Key kit part many overlook:
In my experience, no 200 road trip kit is complete without a basic **ODB2 code reader**….but more specifically…the ability to *reset* codes should a code be thrown that needlessly disables a key function.

Needless loss of function examples can include (among others)… Limp mode, inability to shift into 4Lo. Loss of traction control, constant error messages over simple things such as an evap sensor.

Also… A reader can help you determine if a code is actually critically important (worth changing your route)…or not.

Keeping anxiety in check is useful for all on a long trip, and weird error codes can impact that.

Knowing what code is triggered could also mean a quick post to mud or call to your dealer could let you rest easy, vs bee-lining for unneeded help off your route.

Seeing where someone was locked out of 4lo is what made me decide to take my code reader along.

I should add I was a professional automotive/ diesel technician for the last 15 years.

Last year we did 4300 miles to Maine in my 06 gmc diesel with 300k on it. Only issue we had was a trans line took a dump (had 30k on it) and I swapped it in a Napa parking lot.
I miss traveling in that rig. 85 gallons of fuel on board, full setup and 35s. 17mpg at 75 mph. 1300+ mile range.

2B2AE8E2-63BB-4553-99A6-A7C3938B2E00.png

B3E816B5-81B0-4ED9-B3AC-EC5F3492EE23.jpeg

I have a quad lock phone Mount with wireless charging in my cart

A satellite communicator is on my short list to get, it would be great to have for most places we go.

Good point to others. I run on cash, I’ve had a card shut down on a weekend before and now I travel with cash. In fact I’m opposite of most people, I keep a card for emergency and cash for day to day.

I’m a happy fan of Quadlock mounts. One on my belt…one on my dash via RAM (next to my Garmin Inreach and HAM), and several small mounts in various placesr like the garage, tail-gate area and mountain bike. Super solid mounts for sure.

I’m a happy fan of Quadlock mounts. One on my belt…one on my dash via RAM (next to my Garmin Inreach and HAM), and several small mounts in various placesr like the garage, tail-gate area and mountain bike. Super solid mounts for sure.

I tried a ram x Mount for a while and got to where I didn’t use it because it was a pain to get my phone in and out of. The quad lock seems to alleviate that problem

I tried a ram x Mount for a while and got to where I didn’t use it because it was a pain to get my phone in and out of. The quad lock seems to alleviate that problem
The x mount is a bit finicky. I use one for an old iPhone I have strictly for the OBDLink connection, I really don’t have to fiddle with it much. Quad lock looks interesting, not sure how I feel about being locked into their case.

Agree. What I meant was…. I have a quad-lock mount…connected to a RAM arm. I agree, then 4-Peg RAM phone mounts are a PITA…

Last edited:
Baseline the truck
Have the basic tools parts and cash. I don’t have satellite communications but have cell phone boosters and have had very limited areas with no service.

If you have issues reach out on Mud. Amazing group here. Been cross country in my 200s with no issues. Took my son across country in his 80 and had issues with bearings in the rear axle and was completely bailed out by @Redgrrr who I still am indebted to. Hope someday to make it good and pay it back.

People are generally good everywhere and helpful and mud is an amazing community with folks that will go above and beyond.

My son is driving back across country now in his 80 and I know if he has an issue mud will help or he can get to a mud friendly repair place.

Post your general route on mud and folks will give you guidance on all sorts of things including places to check out. Post up and listen to the folks as you may see thing you never imagined. They also will tell you if they are around and can help if needed.

Good luck
John

I recently bought a LC200 in CA and drove it to NJ in over 2 weeks. I even got some offroading done in Moab! I got the vehicle checked out by Toyota before buying and they identified nothing mjor that needs to be done. Trusting that assessment, I took the leap of faith and flew out to CA to buy the car and drive it back. Since it would be first time I drove/owned a LC200, I bought roadside service and a phone mount. The only issue I had was the low beam bulbs flickering and almost going out. But that was an easy fix - I ordered Osram D4s from Xenondepot and had them overnight to a hotel I was staying in. Other than that minor issue, the truck performed flawlessly (with cheap worn out $100 walmart tires!).

But with the luxury of seeing the vehicle before the trip, I'd suggest checking basic things like fluid levels, battery condition, brakes, tires, etc. Phone mount was, I felt, the most important piece of gear in the whole trip! Although I never had to use it, roadside assistance was also a good piece of mind.

I have -
compressor and tire kit
Matching spare
Hand tools
Basic fluids
Spare serpentine belt
Wiring repair kit

As previously mentioned, the value of a quality scan tool cannot be overstated.

If you get a Bluetooth adapter and pair it with OBD fusion or similar you can monitor trans/engine temps and other useful data.

I always include a breaker bar, torque wrench and jump cables in the kit I'm bringing along

Summer trip so I would carry some Toyota SLLC since I already have it. I would also throw in the two radiator hoses that I kept for road-trip spares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom