3Speed Throw-Out Bearing. Which way is installed correctly? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sonoransteel.com
This way?

IMG_9172.jpg

Yes, post #2. That hardened (I believe) face rides against the pressure plate release.
Do you have grease between the retainer and input? Everything adjusted correctly?

Yes, post #2. That hardened (I believe) face rides against the pressure plate release.
Do you have grease between the retainer and input? Everything adjusted correctly?
I do have grease on the input of the transmission that is slides on. I did not adjust the clutch, but it works fine. But the second I put any pressure even the slightest on the pedal it squeaks, but silent when the clutch is engaged. I just installed an SM420 so the clutch disc is for a Chevy and I have the snout of the transmission sleeved down and the pilot bearing out further. It works great just squalls when the clutch pedal is pushed.

Does the bearing spin freely in your hand? I had this problem in my Chevelle and it was just a bad bearing out of the box. I’ve also heard this happen with not enough free play in the release arm to TO bearing.

Does the bearing spin freely in your hand? I had this problem in my Chevelle and it was just a bad bearing out of the box. I’ve also heard this happen with not enough free play in the release arm to TO bearing.
It did spin freely. I have a spring on there so I will check the free play.

Ok so the throw out bearing spins great. I was able to push the arm a hair and see it spin and grab the pressure plate. The squealing occurs when the pedal is completely depressed.

I have a feeling it is my pilot bearing. It is a GM LS pilot bearing I had a sleeve machined. It may be damaged. I thought that would be better than the Brass sleeve Steve at EBS sent. I guess I was wrong.

Oooooh gm pilot bearings...... You NEED the bronze one; should not be magnetic. Squeal, difficult to engage gears, creep with clutch engaged are all issues that can happen with the non bronze pilot bearing/bushing. That and too tight of bearing clearance can cause the same issues. The non-bronze heats and expands and won’t let the input shaft spin freely. Then there’s bellhousing runout/non-concentricity but an SM420 is likely not picky enough of a trans to suffer from those problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom