3spd vrs 4spd Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have to replace the transfer case.
Must choose between 4spd or changing to 3spd with adapter.
How much of a difference is there?
Are there real advantages?
Worth the extra money?

What to do? what to do?

People may disagree with me, but I say stick with the 4spd case. The 3spd case isn't worth the hassle for a gearing change that isn't that noticable, if at all. A 4spd case is likely stronger than the 3spd and it will make less noise than the 3spd case on road (if that matters to you).

If you need gearing do the diffs, SM465, Orion or Toybox. More money, sure, but save your pennies and do it right.

Just my opinion...

Not worth it....

Stick with the four-speed tcase, or go Orion if you are looking for gears and a stock tranny..

Good luck!

-Steve

input gear and bearing = $200ish or more....

16% reduction in low range (1.999 to 2.313)

agree...not worth it....relative to the cost/time/effort to do a SM465 or SM420 conversion....

i would also say not worth it..... i would only do the input gear if you have a 3speeed case and are not going to go out and find one

I have the 4sp 3spd TC and really like it, My 2f came with a 4spd and TC that was broken in half, I used the 3spd TC because I did not have a 4spd TC. It is nice but I am not doing it on the 45 because I figure the $200 will toward something that will do more for the truck. Not really worth it.

Myrle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom