3spd Transfer Case Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of replacing the seals and gaskets on my 3spd transfer case. It was leaking so bad I don't even know if I would call it a leak. I have the front extension housing off the case right now. First question. Is there any trick to getting the seals out? Is a seal puller the only answer, and how about getting the new one in? Do the gaskets go in dry? Lastly, what other things should I look for while I'm up in there? The shafts and splines look like they are in good shape. Everything kind of moves around, but I think that just might be because its apart. How about the bearings? I wasn't planning on replacing them, are there certain things I should look for? One last thing. It is the older vacume operated transfer case. I can't seem to wrap my brain about how that actually works. What do the two vacume hoses that go into the side of the extension housing actually do? Seems like alot to ask but I'm just trying to figure it all out as I go, be nice to get some solid technical answers. Thanks.

You can pop the seals out with a large screwdriver and tap the new ones in with a hammer. Check the idler gear shaft for wear, pitting and spalling. It is a weak spot. You can use the gaskets dry or with a thin coat of RTV if you are worried about them sealing. The vacuum shifter has a diaphragm and suction on one hose engages the front drive and suction on the other one disengages it.

Thanks for the info. Seems odd that vacume suction is what engages and disengages the 4wd. I guess thats why they did away with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom