3spd to 4spd transmission swap question for 1971 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

merbesfield

SILVER Star
Threads
I am working on swapping the transmission in our 71. Currently it has a 3 on the tree. Swapping for H42 4 spd. I know the slave cylinder gets moved to the passenger side of Bellhousing. I have a 2F bellhousing and I see the mounting bolt holes. I am trying to figure out how the slave cylinder gets mounted. On my 1982 FJ40 there is a small bracket. Will this bracket work or do I need some other bracket? Is this the best method for mounting? I have looked on the parts diagrams for earlier years, say 76+, but cannot find a picture showing a mounting bracket for the slave cylinder. It is only when I look on the 1982 parts diagram that I see the bracket shown below in the parts diagrams. So, what do I need in order to mount the slave cylinder? Thanks for the help, Mark

31479-60030.jpg
31479-60030_02.jpg
toyota-3147960030-1565762122618-big.jpg

If you get a 4 speed 40 bellhousing the slave can stay on the drivers side.

The slaves mount to the rear motor mounts not the actual BH like a 60

If not what year BH did you get?

I changed my 69 from a column shift to a H41 4 speed and keep the slave mounted in the same place as the 3 speed

It's all about the build date of the bell housing. Even the 40 series switched to transmission crossmember 8/80+. Besides the clutch mount the threaded holes for the motor mounts are gone. If going later style would stay clear of the 3F bellhousing the 40 series crossmember will not match the angle the
bellhousing rotates the transmission. Obviously theb74-7/80 bellhousing is the easiest to deal with. Just the torque tube behind the transfer has it's challenges.

Ok so from what your saying and looking at the pic from @Chungas Revenge the Slave Cylinder bolts directly to the BH but when I hold the SC up against the BH the holes don’t line up.

I'm a visual type...I have to see it.

I'm out of my depth ref: The appropriate mounts for your conversion. My collective knowledge centers exclusively on the 76-ish model(s) I've owned over the last few years. And there are members on mud who have forgotten more than I've learned in that short time.

Those help a lot. Thank you. So I guess I need to find the proper motor mount for right rear. The motor mounts I have are from the 3spd and I’m not sure it is the same. I know it had provisions for the 4x4 shift linkage.

I'm a visual type...I have to see it.

I'm out of my depth ref: The appropriate mounts for your conversion. My collective knowledge centers exclusively on the 76-ish model(s) I've owned over the last few years. And there are members on mud who have forgotten more than I've learned in that short time.
I hear you. What scares me is what I have learned and then subsequently forgotten over the years. I guess there is only so much room inside there. I will hit the parts diagram. Thanks for the help.

Not a 3F. That is cast into the back side of the bellhousing. If you have three holes to bolt on the motor mount your good to go. Clutch slave cylinders bolt to the motor mount on E-7/80+. The bracket posted earlier in this thread is what is used 8/80+. The threaded holes on the right side are for smaller size since it no longer supports running gear weight. I purchased couple of them for future builds. Plan is to use nutserts in the bellhousing verses drilling out small bracket. Not sure if drilling it out would wearing the bracket.

as stated above, you don't need to run the slave on the passenger side of the bellhousing.
the pivot ball can move inside the bellhousing and keep the slave assembly and tubing right where it is located now.
there is no need to move it, use the same mounts you currently have

Believe the reason it was on the left side on earlier cruisers is because the linkage for high low on the transfer case pivoted off the right side rear motor mount. Took a year or two but Toyota moved to the right side. Probably to keep it further away from exhaust heat.

Well I went out and cleaned up the motor mounts I had soaking. It looks like the RR mount from my 71 is the same as what @Chungas Revenge has on his 76. Apparently when they deleted the hi/low dash mounted shift, which had linkage on the right they simple used the same holes to mount the Slave Cylinder. The SC lines up with the holes. I still have to remove the stud. So I think all I need is the little bracket that one end of the return spring clips to. I’m sure it could be made but I imagine it shouldn’t be had to secure.
E4F6C1BB-F024-495A-883E-0E2DFA41ADD7.jpeg
FE544B10-F5AB-40E5-A71B-03576DDDA77D.jpeg
2C582BA4-E951-412D-9987-4B9CC507CC88.jpeg
EEC6820C-01BE-4A2C-A3F0-D294426DA21B.jpeg
88BCB47D-1506-4F9F-9199-993E1A6440BC.jpeg

You can get a a/p delete belt tensioner or gut the a/p and just use as a tensioner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom