3spd to 4spd transmission swap question for 1971 FJ40

merbesfield

SILVER Star
So if I understand this cor
It would depend on how you are running belts. The a/p belt goes around water pump and crank and that is why it is used as a tensioner
Been a minute since I studied this, now I get it. Two belts.
05662EE0-0D12-428E-90EB-19B6C26A9C0D.jpeg

Apparently when they deleted the hi/low dash mounted shift, which had linkage on the right they simple used the same holes to mount the Slave Cylinder. The SC lines up with the holes.

These were always set up for the clutch slave cylinder. The high low linkage only used one of the threaded openings. Many markets had floor shift transfer cases back to the start of the FJ40. Those the clutch slave cylinder was on the right side.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
No plans atm for a/c in this rig.
Edit maybe PS. I had hoped to use electric but won’t work w early box so… May switch columns later.

EPS. It’s great but I would only use it with a very tight manual box and the later center arm. The old center arms don’t have any replacement parts available

merbesfield

SILVER Star
@wngrog what year did the change the center arm? This is a 1971. Have no idea what the condition is of gear box. We shall see. But I thought the EPS only worked with the later steering wheel setups.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
@wngrog what year did the change the center arm? This is a 1971. Have no idea what the condition is of gear box. We shall see. But I thought the EPS only worked with the later steering wheel setups.
This is true. Im saying if you go to all the trouble to swap columns make
Sure your downstream components are as good as possible. 71 is the good center arm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom