3spd to 4spd transmission swap question for 1971 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My question: Is the tensioner needed?
It would depend on how you are running belts. The a/p belt goes around water pump and crank and that is why it is used as a tensioner

So if I understand this cor
It would depend on how you are running belts. The a/p belt goes around water pump and crank and that is why it is used as a tensioner
Been a minute since I studied this, now I get it. Two belts.
05662EE0-0D12-428E-90EB-19B6C26A9C0D.jpeg

With that set up I would do away with the green belt

And not worry about the A/P bracket

Apparently when they deleted the hi/low dash mounted shift, which had linkage on the right they simple used the same holes to mount the Slave Cylinder. The SC lines up with the holes.

These were always set up for the clutch slave cylinder. The high low linkage only used one of the threaded openings. Many markets had floor shift transfer cases back to the start of the FJ40. Those the clutch slave cylinder was on the right side.

These were always set up for the clutch slave cylinder. The high low linkage only used one of the threaded openings. Many markets had floor shift transfer cases back to the start of the FJ40. Those the clutch slave cylinder was on the right side.
That makes sense.

You need it if you are running alternator only you only need one belt.
No plans atm for a/c in this rig.
Edit maybe PS. I had hoped to use electric but won’t work w early box so… May switch columns later.

No plans atm for a/c in this rig.
Edit maybe PS. I had hoped to use electric but won’t work w early box so… May switch columns later.

EPS. It’s great but I would only use it with a very tight manual box and the later center arm. The old center arms don’t have any replacement parts available

@wngrog what year did the change the center arm? This is a 1971. Have no idea what the condition is of gear box. We shall see. But I thought the EPS only worked with the later steering wheel setups.
This is true. Im saying if you go to all the trouble to swap columns make
Sure your downstream components are as good as possible. 71 is the good center arm

Hello Nolan,
Can the later model center arms be swapped for the early? Wondering if the drag link connects in the same position for both styles
Have not been able to find any pics of the arms themselves to see if they are the same part and just had different mounts over the years. If yes, what parts or mounts need to be fabbed or sourced to perform this swap?

Any other members have knowledge, links or reference?

Hello Nolan,
Can the later model center arms be swapped for the early? Wondering if the drag link connects in the same position for both styles
Have not been able to find any pics of the arms themselves to see if they are the same part and just had different mounts over the years. If yes, what parts or mounts need to be fabbed or sourced to perform this swap?

Any other members have knowledge, links or reference?

not a bolt in
the crossmember needs a wedge fabbed or changed out
I can't remember if the frame would need a plate added

The side frame would need a plate to box it. Would need to remove the bracket that's riveted to the bottom of the frame first.

Thanks for the quick replies. Not sure if anybody has performed this swap before. Just in case anybody is asking “why”? I have an early frame with questionable center arm but have a solid 74’ body and steering setup. Looking for the most solid route forward with least amount of parts change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom