Wanted 3spd front driveshaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need a 3spd front driveshaft (not the whole thing-just the long tube part).

This is why-
BrokenShaft5.jpg

I've got one--- you can have it for $20 plus the ride. Complete, not just the long part. Let me know, Luke

Is this it..?

I have a whole pile of driveshafts and I think this is the original one from my 3 speed 45, but I'm not absolutely positive. Measurement from center to center is about 24". Measures 3.25" diagonally across bolt pattern at transfer case flange.

Also, someone started taking the U-joint at the axle end apart and the caps are missing. The piece you need is all intact.
MVC-019S.JPG
MVC-020S.JPG

I don't have the shaft with me to measure, I donated it to the Urban Land Cruiser shop "Frame of Shame" (old frame stacked with broken cruiser parts).

I can go measure a 3 spd front shaft tomorrow and then we'll know for sure if it is correct.

Thanks!

CruisinGA said:
I don't have the shaft with me to measure, I donated it to the Urban Land Cruiser shop "Frame of Shame" (old frame stacked with broken cruiser parts).

I can go measure a 3 spd front shaft tomorrow and then we'll know for sure if it is correct.

Thanks!

That'd work... I want to be certain I'm sending you what you actually need. Will wait for confirmation. Luke

trainrech said:
That's a really easy re-sleeve job. Just need 1.75 od x .083 wall thickness DOM tubing. It'll sleeve right over the top of the old tubing (once you cut the twisted sections out of it, of course). I bought my tubing at a truck repair shop.

It was soon afterwards cut up for a trailside fab square tube shaft, so no go on the retube! Thanks though.

The shaft pictured above is going to use smaller bolts to retain it to the companion flange than your original one Bailey, unless you have a really early three speed front shaft flange on your tcase...it looks like it is a pre-67 shaft to me...with that rubber boot and all....looks just like the one in the front of my '65-45 LWB pup...

-Steve

IF the above does not work out, I have the frotn DS out of a 71. I believe that it is in one piece.

Yotahilux said:
IF the above does not work out, I have the frotn DS out of a 71. I believe that it is in one piece.

is that out of a 55? If so, the DS will be too short for a 40...

bk

Bailey, I checked mine last night and both were rear shafts.

I don't think a SM420 with a adapter will be the same length as a three speed if that's what your running. "74 FJ40-- wheelin rig-SM420 " Is your's a early 74 with three speed? The SM420 with the earlier adapter was about the same length as the four speeds? If your going to have to change the length of your drive line might just want to retube your old one unless there's other problems. I saw this thread and thought there's noway a stock three speed could do that to a driveshaft but I could be wrong, it's happened before.

John

Once the tube gets nicked or dented, anything goes...

I'm buying a 3 spd front driveshaft for the rear of my truck. It just so happens that the front 3 spd shaft is the perfect length for a truck with an SM420, .75" adapter, and flipped rear springs.

I did this to a driveshaft with an SM420, in granny low, bouncing up and down on the rear axle alone. :D It was fun.

Yotahilux-you have PM.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Retube is not an option because the twisted shaft has already been cut up for a square tube spare.

:cheers:

Living in the Past said:
I don't think a SM420 with a adapter will be the same length as a three speed if that's what your running. "74 FJ40-- wheelin rig-SM420 " Is your's a early 74 with three speed? The SM420 with the earlier adapter was about the same length as the four speeds? If your going to have to change the length of your drive line might just want to retube your old one unless there's other problems. I saw this thread and thought there's noway a stock three speed could do that to a driveshaft but I could be wrong, it's happened before.

John

CruisinGA I'm buying a 3 spd front driveshaft for the rear of my truck. It just so happens that the front 3 spd shaft is the perfect length for a truck with an SM420, .75" adapter, and flipped rear springs.
I did this to a driveshaft with an SM420, in granny low, bouncing up and down on the rear axle alone. It was fun.

Ok I can believe that, I just didn't think a three speed front drive would fit with a SM420 or that a f engine could twist a front drive shaft with it in 4WD.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom