3rd most common option for AC in an FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IT's that time of year. The birds are chirping, the pollen is falling, the spring showers are here... and I go are far as thinking about adding AC to my '77 FJ40.

I have studied the installation process for adding Vintage Air and Nostalgic Air systems to vehicles of this vintage. So I think I know the main advantages and disadvantages of each. So I consider Nostalgic and Vintage to be the most common first and second choices, but is there a relatively common 3rd option available for FJ40's? I don't think there is, but I thought I'd at least ask the question before I abandon the idea again for this year.

I called nostalgic about this system in the fall. From all the measurements they gave me it looks like it would fit. Looks like almost the same underdash unit but adds another, remote vent you can put to the left of the column.

My issue with the vintage air unit is it looks out of place in a 40 cabin.
My issue with the NA and old Air units is that they are only on the right 2/3 of the vehicle.
My last hurdle I was trying to overcome was a way to possibly keep the factory heater. I think the only 2 ways to do that are basically the old air 200 series or fab your own air duct that goes in place of existing blower ducting and incorporates vents and the evaporator core.

Depends what you’re after I guess.

Nice! I havent heard of that one. I'll check it out.

Vintage Air, Nostalgic Air, and now Old Air... LOL. Where do they get their company names from.

There should be an Ancient Air. Or a Prehistoric Air.
Here’s your Ancient Aire:

1922A07D-CDA6-4AEC-848F-8686AB8AAD46.jpeg

I called nostalgic about this system in the fall. From all the measurements they gave me it looks like it would fit. Looks like almost the same underdash unit but adds another, remote vent you can put to the left of the column.

My issue with the vintage air unit is it looks out of place in a 40 cabin.
My issue with the NA and old Air units is that they are only on the right 2/3 of the vehicle.
My last hurdle I was trying to overcome was a way to possibly keep the factory heater. I think the only 2 ways to do that are basically the old air 200 series or fab your own air duct that goes in place of existing blower ducting and incorporates vents and the evaporator core.

Depends what you’re after I guess.
Wish that I would have cut my glovebox and sunk the Vintage Air unit behind the dash, then built a plenum to hide the ducting. Maybe if I slide to the bottom of the rabbit hole on the next build.

Sooner or later one of those is going in my 1975 fj40. The interior parts, at least. They are a decently stockish looking substitute in place of the Toyota heater.

(If I recall correctly, TLC 4x4/icon was putting Hurricane units in their rigs at some point. I could be wrong on that ...)

There is also Restomodair.com, which I believe are the units Jonathan Ward, aka ICON uses. Mentioned above by GAArchitect. They may have been under a different name in the past. Been a long time since I dove in. I believe they offer the most modern looking products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom