3rd member ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I already searched and found nothing.................

I just put a TH350 and NP205 in my 74. I was hoping to have the offset angle of the driveline in the rear work out, but it didn't, so here is the question. Since I have a Detroit in the rear, can I just place the entire 3rd member into the front axle even though the rear is a c-clip? SOR shows a "new" Detroit for c-clip axles, so it kind of threw me for a loop as to what the difference would be between that one and mine.

I wouldn't have any more use for the rear axle, but in order to sell it, could I put the front 3rd member in the rear as well?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm not familiar enough with detroits to answer your question definitively, but I had no problems swapping my lockrighted rear 3rd member into my front axle by just omitting the center block.

Conversely, you will need a center block in order to install your front 3rd into the rear. Otherwise, the front 3rd will go into the rear just fine. If you still have the original parts from putting the detroit into the rear, you've got the center block you need.

They are probably like the ARBs.

ARB sells a locker for a full-floating axel (Front) and a locker for a semi-floating axel (Rear). The only difference is the locker for the semi-floating axel has a window cut into it so you can access the C-Clips. The semi-floating locker can be used front or rear, the full-floating locker can only be used in the front. However, the full-floating locker is stronger than the semi-floating locker.

I moved my 3rd member with an ARB from the rear to the front with no problems (I left in the thrust bock, some people take it out). I betting you can do the same with Detroits.

Before you go changing axle's why not just flip your axle?I have seen it done ,And almost did it to my auto Land Cruiser. Its really quite simple.... strip axle, turn housing around(front to rear), notch
housing to clear ring gear, insatall 3'rd in axle, and put the cover on the back.
It moves the pinion over about 8 inches. Alot cheaper than swapping axles...
Dave

there's a place that sells a mini hybrid that will fit a 40, but with a centered chunk. keep all the same stuff as your 40 axle. i think it was about $650.

V-DAWG said:
I was hoping to have the offset angle of the driveline in the rear work out, but it didn't, so here is the question.

The offset itself isn't a problem, but the usual problems with driveshaft angles remain. For U-joint shafts, the angles at the transfer and the differential must be the same (within a few degrees) and you cannot exceed the operation angle of the U-joint. It isn't as easy to accurately measure the angles of a driveshaft that is not in a vertical plane with a magnetic angle finder, but you don't have to. There are only two possibilities for mismatch: Either the diff pinion is pointed up or down too much or the engine/tranny axis is not parallel to the frame. If the tranny axis is offset laterally, there isn't much you can do to the rear axle to compensate for this.

In any event the simple thing to do is to check the angles in two planes, vertical and horizontal. If the angles in either plane do not match at the flanges, then the overall angle cant match either. Check in the vertical plane with a magnetic angle finder. You can also check the angle in the horizontal plane using a framing square to see how square they are with respect to the frame. Centering the diff won't help if the overall angle exceeds the operating range of the joint because a centered driveshaft will be shorter and therefor the angle will be steeper.

Im Pretty Sure V-Dawg was refering to the Angle of having a Centerd Rear output T-case (205) and wanting to use an offset Rear Cruiser Axle.. (Some Claim that it works).. Put a Centerd rear axle and a CV Shaft on it and issue is solved!!

if you put the rear 3rd up front wont that be like reverse cut R & P

camcruiser13 said:
if you put the rear 3rd up front wont that be like reverse cut R & P

No hte 3rd members are the same and interchangeable F and R.
It will only run reverse if you install it upside down.

It looks like Proffitts may be the best bang for the buck.

Can anyone here give their experience with it. Are the axle shafts worthy to hold up to 36" tires?

I like the idea of eliminating the c-clips, and having the parking brake on the rear axle (since I don't have one anymore).

Axle Shafts should survive unless your real hard on the rig..

I would suggest upgrading to a Fine Splined Pinnion if you havent already..

then i would say 36-37" tires no problemb..

Cromo Shafts are avalible too if you so desire

Pin_Head said:
No hte 3rd members are the same and interchangeable F and R.
It will only run reverse if you install it upside down.

gotcha, gracias, thread highjack whats the benefit of reverse cut gears, im looking into new r & p? thanks :cheers:

just get the centered housing from CV Unlimited and get some mini rear shafts from anywhere. You will need the mini brakes to if you want a e-brake.

peesalot said:
just get the centered housing from CV Unlimited and get some mini rear shafts from anywhere. You will need the mini brakes to if you want a e-brake.

Sounds like they charge more than proffitts, and the housing is not as complete. Do you know any more information about it? I called, but "George" is not in today.

I got the same answer every time I called CV Unlimited.

I would hands down get it at proffits and the 4 link kit while I was at it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom