3rd Member Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I am looking at getting my rear 3rd member rebuilt on my fj60. I have noticed some leaking from the pinon seal and the pinon nut was very loose. I tightened the nut up (much less than the torque specs) but I realize that this is a very temporary solution from what I have read.

I am planning on ordering the parts/seals/bearings from either Cruiser Outfitters or Valley Hybrids as both have been awesome to work with. I will then have a local Colorado Shop do the rebuild on the third member that I will pull.

I am going to purchase a Differential Overhaul Kit and a Rear Axel Rebuild Kit. What else am I missing on this project? Any special aftermarket seals that I should be using, special tools, or sage advice that would make this project run a bit smoother or I would be better off in the long run? I have a FSM and have watched a few videos on pulling the axles etc. My vehicle is an 84 Fj60 with 33's and stock gears and I recently refreshed the rear brakes and balanced my rear drive shaft with new ujoints. . Thanks a bunch for all the help.

If there’s one nearby, just take the 3rd member to a differential shop to get overhauled. They don’t charge much and they’ve done hundreds of them - and have the experience and all the tools.

That sounds good. Nothing super close but a few hours away. Should I provide the parts or let the guys at the shop do the work with their parts? Seemed like they were going to go with Toyo/Timken Bearings. They said I could provide parts or they could. It would be slightly less money ~$50 but they won't warranty parts or they can provide parts and warranty them. I just want to make sure I get what is needed so I don't have to go back in.

Also on the rear axle parts, should I be using anything special like Marlin seal products or is the general kit from CO good enough? Thanks

I’ll use this guy. He’s clearly done a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom