3rd gear thrust clearance out of tolerance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
Hi

I've just started a rebuild of my H55F, which ran fine at 500k+ kms (it's not the original so true kms are unknown), more for preventative maintenance and infernal oil leaks than to remedy a specific issue.

I just measured the thrust clearances of the gears: 1st and counter 5th are like new, 2nd is on the upper limit, and 3rd is just above it: 0.35 mm when the limit is 0.30 mm.

I'm not overly worried but would like to sort it. I assume the sure way to fix it will be to replace 3rd gear along with the 3rd gear bushing (which also acts as a thrust washer for both 3rd and 2nd gears as far as I can tell), but is one more likely to wear than the other? The bushing is significantly less than new gear(s), is it likely that replacing just the bushing will bring 3rd gear back into spec?

Thanks for any help

EO

0.05MM? Man, that’s barely a human hair. Throw a new bushing in there since you’re there but I wouldn’t replace an otherwise fine gear over that.

Not an expert on the internals of the H55F as I haven't broken into my own (yet), but perhaps a large diameter shim to fit over the shaft and take up however much space is needed to reach the lower end of spec?

Honestly I expect @cruisermatt is dead on. Not even worth worrying about. But OTOH my OCD wouldn't allow me to leave it were that the case for me. I figure Toyota has those limits for a reason.

0.05MM? Man, that’s barely a human hair. Throw a new bushing in there since you’re there but I wouldn’t replace an otherwise fine gear over that.

Sorry for the slow response.

I agree - I've ordered a new 2nd / 3rd gear bushing and hope that gets it back into spec.

Thanks 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom