3FE'd 80 wins Drag Race!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, it happened yesterday. I was at one of those lights that has two lanes, narrowing down to a single lane. I'm first in line, in the correct lane for the merge, when this "race car" pulls up in the cheaters lane. You know, the lane where the special people like to get in when they want to pass all those that have waited for their turn? Well, anyway, I could tell it was a "Race Car" because it had one of those wings on the trunk lid. I still don't understand why you would want a wing on the back of a front wheel drive car?. It also had clear marker lights, ground effects, and type "R" on the side under the clear euro marker light on the fender. (No, it wasn't TYLER, or Mickey Rubicon.) This special edition "Race Car" was a Red Mazda 323 LX (Type R?).

I look at him, he looks at me... IT"S AWN!!! I've been passed so many times at this light in the previously stock geared 80. I had a grin on my face, I knew he didn't realize I was in a "sleeper" FJ 80 with a tuned-up 3FE and some 4:88 gears.

He reved, I upped the RPM's to 1000, dropped into 3rd to keep from going into OD.... the light changed to GREEN!!

The Mighty 3FE powered 80 pulls away, one car length, two car lengths, the 80 in the lead... I can hear the "Coffee Can" exhaust on the Mazda Buzzing like a "Mad Hornet". Three car lengths, merge lane up ahead, I'm winning!!... the Mazda special edition "R" is 5 car lengths behind the 80 as I enter the merge lane in the lead. I WON!!! All the other cars are way behind us, the Mazda falls in behind the Cruiser. At the next light they pull up next to me. The passenger rolls his window down in the Mazda. I power mine down. The passenger, laughing, tells me that his buddy (the driver of the Mazda), was really trying to beat the mighty 80. "Whats it got under the hood?" the passenger asks. I say, "the Mighty 3 FE!". He nods his head.

As we left that next light, I couldn't help but think a mile-stone in my life had just occured (not to mention my marriage, and the birth of my two daughters). For the rest of the day, all I could think of was "ZOOM,ZOOM,ZOOM".

Last edited:
Musta been the rear wing on the cruiser.... :beer:

Nice one, you got my blood boiling now, I'm wanting to take on anybody at the next light!
:flipoff2:

I had a CJ5 once that was a rocket off the line but hit top safe driving speed (30mph) in about 25 feet! Any faster and parts would start falling off.

I bet my 80 would be a killer in bracket racing. Deadly consistant at 20 second 1/4 miles.

Ohhhh....those are wings? I though they were stolen park benches! :lol: Well done sir! :cheers:

Way to go! It reminds me of my first car, a 1970 convertible beetle. Everyone got in the other lane at a light even though they were about to pass my and turn right 200 feet ahead. Never again after I hot rodded the engine! I still have that car in storage and some day will restore it. My wife is one of the cheaters who gets in the lane that ends. She races them every time in our FJ62 powered 3FE. It bugs me to no end as I am one of the ones who waits my turn. Good story. Dunbar

We have SO MANY disrespectful "Coffee Can" specials out here...I just let the 80 kind of drift toward their lane. I've yet to meet the ricer that does't piss their pants and slow down.

I had one cut me off late night on a single lane a little while ago and gave him the pleasure of all 6 of my aux lights and the hi beams into his car for about 2 blocks until he pulled to the side. good times...

So who says cruisers can't scream.

CDan should have some good stories to tell about putting down the posers during speed bump drag races.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom