3FE Water Pump Water droplet leaking after new Aisin install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

First of all - I shouldn't have attempted to replace the aftermarket waterpump since it wasn't having any issues, but that's besides the point. I was working on baselining my rig with replacing all of the old hoses and old crusty coolant with a few flushes. Decided that I should replace the water pump with OEM.

I've put everything back together but it seems that it's leaking at or close to the mating surface ( I'm assuming this is it, since it's coming right off the crank ).
Things that it could possibly be:

1. I put waterpump sealent on the gasket to engine block, I couldn't get the gasket to stay in place when i was mounting it and kept putting holes in the gasket. I bought a few fel-pro ones to put in it's place instead of OEM since I could get them locally and quickly at autozone
2. I've torqued the nuts to 27 ft/lbs but then over torqued them to 40 ft/lbs to see if the leak would go away ( it did not )
3. I've tried to scrape as much of the old paper gasket as much as possible, it didn't seem like there was any left on there but I could be wrong.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated - I know I will probably have to take it apart again and go in and try to rescrape the surface and put on a new gasket, but trying not to think about that right now cause it's a pain in the ass....

Actually oddly enough maybe I'm hyper sensitive. I just decided to start the truck up anyways and after it leaking for a while it stopped leaking. ( There's only distilled water in there right now as a plan to flush it a few more times with the new water pump installed )

I've put a piece of cardboard underneath so that will be my litmus test to see if it leaks overnight( currently it's still pressurized as the cap was on)

Is it possible that it leaks when cold?

If I'm reading this right, you have more than one gasket on it?

If I'm reading this right, you have more than one gasket on it?

I purchased a few fel pro gaskets in case i ripped another one. I've only got one gasket on and I put sealer on it from the engine block to the gasket. The first one was slipping around too much and I ripped it while trying to put it on.

If it's leaking, it's probably the Fel-Pro gasket. I didn't use sealant on mine and had the OEM gasket and no issues.

If it's leaking, it's probably the Fel-Pro gasket. I didn't use sealant on mine and had the OEM gasket and no issues.

Yea, I knew that could have been a factor in this. But autozone had it close by and readily available so I just jumped on it.

I'll try that after I let the truck sit and cool down to see if the leak reappears....

I'm not super worried about the brand of paper gasket... It's paper.

I used the one that came with my aisin one from cruiser outfitters, but it looks identical to the felpro one from the kit I bought. No sealant, just black gasket paper.

That said... the cleanliness of the block's mating surface is, as mentioned above, critical.

Hi All,

First of all - I shouldn't have attempted to replace the aftermarket waterpump since it wasn't having any issues, but that's besides the point. I was working on baselining my rig with replacing all of the old hoses and old crusty coolant with a few flushes. Decided that I should replace the water pump with OEM.

I've put everything back together but it seems that it's leaking at or close to the mating surface ( I'm assuming this is it, since it's coming right off the crank ).
Things that it could possibly be:

1. I put waterpump sealent on the gasket to engine block, I couldn't get the gasket to stay in place when i was mounting it and kept putting holes in the gasket. I bought a few fel-pro ones to put in it's place instead of OEM since I could get them locally and quickly at autozone
2. I've torqued the nuts to 27 ft/lbs but then over torqued them to 40 ft/lbs to see if the leak would go away ( it did not )
3. I've tried to scrape as much of the old paper gasket as much as possible, it didn't seem like there was any left on there but I could be wrong.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated - I know I will probably have to take it apart again and go in and try to rescrape the surface and put on a new gasket, but trying not to think about that right now cause it's a pain in the ass....
Are you absolutely certain that that is where it is leaking from? I had the same issue. I was CERTAIN it was the water pump connection. In a fit of rage I gave up and had a pressure test done. There was actually a tear in the hose on top of the pumpand it was leaking down and around the pump making me think it was the pump connection. I hated that project...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom