3FE Valve springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I got a 262 duration camshaft and now I am trying to source the right valve springs. My spec sheet reccomends Open: 270/290 spring pressure and Closed: 90/100 spring pressure. Any sugestions where to get new valve springs? Why Im on the subject, I am also wanting to get some new lifters too. Short of OEM I can't find anyone who has them for an 88 landcruiser with the 3FE...Anyone ran into this?

So I got a 262 duration camshaft and now I am trying to source the right valve springs. My spec sheet reccomends Open: 270/290 spring pressure and Closed: 90/100 spring pressure. Any sugestions where to get new valve springs? Why Im on the subject, I am also wanting to get some new lifters too. Short of OEM I can't find anyone who has them for an 88 landcruiser with the 3FE...Anyone ran into this?

No need to replace the lifters, they can be resurfaced. I had a nightmare of an experience with after market lifters that I bought from Man A Fre. Don't be tempted to buy them. A good machinist that specializes in head rebuilding should be able to source some different springs based on the dimentions. (I know there are some Chevy applications that will work, I used them myself.) Performance cams with stock springs is a real gamble.

Yeah I have heard mixed "reviews" on running stock valve springs. Although, I don't know what stock valve spring pressure is!? I have been tempted to get them from MAF, but with some of the things I have heard about those lifters im holding out...

Thanks RockDoc, I will have to check into that when the shop opens back up on Tuesday. You were saying you went with the Chevy valves as well? Do you notice improvements running them? If you're anything like me, you do a hundred things at once so it's hard to tell any, one, improvement...

101 things ;) Couldn't say what the valves alone would do, but lots of things together can make a lot of power.

Some of the main reasons for using Chevy valves comes from not needing to replace the valve guides. Some Chevy valve stems are just a hair larger in diameter than Toyota valve stems. The machinist can just ream the existing worn valve guides out to fit the new Chevy valves and move on to the valve seats.

Same deal on the valve seats. The Chevy valves are just a little larger in diameter than the Toyota stuff. So the machinist can just recut the seats for the bigger valve and not worry about having to replace a valve seat.

Plus Chevy stuff is usually cheaper than Toyota parts and is often in stock. The tools for doing Chevy valve jobs are already on hand too so there's less cost in both time doing the job and no need for special tools. Better performance is just a side benefit IMHO.

Nick

Nick did a nice job of explaining it. You can get fresh surfaces for cheap if you switch to Chev. valves. There are Ford valve seals that fit the combination of the Chev valve stem and the Toyota guide.

Thanks for the info. My valve guides were all good, so I'll prob. stick with the toyota valves. That would be quite the mix\match (ford, chevy, toyota) I have thought about it, for improved flow, but didn't want to go through the process of mix match...I can't even find springs and lifters. I will talk to my machine shop about it though.

The stock valve springs will do the job just fine with this cam to at least 6 grand. You really should not be turning a 3FE above that anyway. :(

As already mentioned, there is little flow improvement with the chevy valves. It is mainly just a less expensive way to put it all together and still do it right.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom