3FE Troubles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,
So I have been experiencing alittle trouble with my 1991 FJ80 (333,000 miles).

Thus Far I've replaced/done:
New dizzy cap and seal
New Rotor
New Spark Plug Wires
New Plugs
New Battery
Oil Change and Filter
New Fusible Links

So the issue I'm having is very jumpy RPMS to the point of it almost dying as of now.
For the last week or so my 3fe has had a jumpy idle. In the past it stayed right at 650RPM but something is def wrong now.

Yesterday I was just idling in park and I noticed all of the interiors lights began to dim and flicker (radio, clock, gear selector indicator, etc...) and then when I turned the engine off it wouldn't start, completely dead with no juice to anything. Popped the hood and saw the + Cable was completely off the battery so I used a mallet and put the + cable back on tightened it down good (need to put my mil spec cables on as my cables are very old and crappy) and it started but the idle was very bad (ran at about 200RPMs and almost died). I kept my foot on the gas, drove around the block and it drove fine as i was going about 20 mph but as soon as I come to a full stop my truck almost dies. Drove around a bit longer and when i got home and parked after my around the block test the idle was fine in park (650RPM) so I thought maybe the ECU had to relearn something as the cables had both been disconnected (Im a basic banana) so I went in thinking everything was fine.

Went out later last night and the idle became very lumpy again to the point that I couldnt go where I was planning to as the idle when at a full stop was soo low the CEL came on for a quick sec as the idle was soo low. Got it parked at home now and went to start up the truck this morning and she started but the idle went up to about 850RPM cold start (np in my mind and ususal) but then after 2/3 seconds the idle went all the way down to about 100-150 so I turned off the truck and went to work in my other car which Im trying to sell right now and just have the LC beached at home.

If your reading this far thank you

So when I did my oil change and was replacing the filter I noticed a completely disconnected hose (seems like its one size maybe two sizes larger than the small egr vacuum lines) that had a little "hose organizer thing like the ones used to keep spark plugs organized" that was just hanging out disconnected in the engine bay infront of the dittzy and Charcoal canister. I did a quick examination of all the hoses and I saw that there is a little black unit attached to the bracket of the charcoal canister that seems to have 2 maybe more "male ends" where vacuum lines would go but Ive got no hoses going to this little black unit infront of the charcoal canister. Could this be the culprit, does anyone know what part I'm attempting to refer to?

Could this be my alternator. Its on my to do list as the PO did subpar upkeep but maybe this explains the dimming lights. When I drive my LC the little volt gauge is always 3/4 of the way to the top so seems to be holding a charge.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as Im hoping I dont have to take it in to the shop for repairs.

I would check all of your vaccuum lines to start

upload_2017-5-25_12-50-5.png

This started as an electrical issue, so I would continue your search there. Also get your vacuum lines in order and learn what they all are.

I would check all of your vacuum lines to start

View attachment 1466622

Great thank you for that I appreciate it.
I will check all the vacuum lines soon but it looks like the little black unit infront of the charcoal canister on this diagram is the little unit to the right of 23275. Im missing atleast 2 vacuum lines off that little unit, does anyone know what that unit is/will it effect idle.

Many thanks in advance and apologies for being annoying to anyone for my basic questions.

Its the VCV it is part of your emissions unmetered air can effect idle anywhere from a little to drastically its possible when you were doing all of you other repairs you knocked one or two of the lines off of where they are supposed to be and that can cause the idle issues another place to look will be any cracks in the intake hose itself the big cylinder coming off of your airfilter theres a good chance you cracked it if you replaced the air filter or removed it when doing your sparkplugs,wires, or distributor cap. It is also possible that you have an electrical problem as well as @mct75 stated.

Thansk again for all of your help. When I was replacing my oil filter hose # 90445-12262 (VCV) looks to be like the hose that was completely loose in the engine bay. I was foolish and threw it out but 90% sure that 90445-12262 is the hose that is no longer on the VCV not sure about the other one. Off the top of your head and I really appreciate your replies, is that hose imperative/will it effect idle drastically.

Either way I need to check the VCV when I get home but hoping that hose is the culprit.

Vacuum leak?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies everyone, once again I was able to do my own repairs and get the job done myself (Of course with the help of you great folks).
There was a larger missing vacuum line going from the VCV to the intake. Got the hose on there and the idle doesn't stumble to 100 rpm and its stays steady at 600rpms.

Gonna replace as many vacuum lines I can this weekend as a safety precaution so thanks again for all the help everyone and happy Friday!

if thats your problem you can temporarily cap that line while waiting on it in the mail. its part of your charcoal canister crap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom