3FE to 5.3 in 1992 FJ80 Build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice! Yeah I am planning on using the stock pump if it proves up to the task. My 5.3 is set up with injectors that are in the 38psi range and my pump is pretty new. Figured I’d just send it.
Gauges, I am using a Dakota digital obd 2 for the tach signal and check engine light (admittedly I haven’t got the check engine circuit fully sorted yet). Oil sendor from the 3fe adapted to the LS, most other sensors are similar. Speedo is driven off the transfer output shaft. Other things like gear selector lights will be addressed using the original neutral safety switch in parallel to Gm one.
The check engine light couldn’t be easier. The wire for the CEL from the GM ECM just needed spliced to the single wire that goes to the bulb in the cluster.

The check engine light couldn’t be easier. The wire for the CEL from the GM ECM just needed spliced to the single wire that goes to the bulb in the cluster.
And that's it? No resistor or anything? I guess I was confused as that light is powered from two sources. One from the EFI main fuse and the other from the ecu, but I guess the EFI main is not in operation now anyway... Its been a minute since I was reading that schematic, I guess can get back to it soon now that mounts and stuff are in...

And that's it? No resistor or anything? I guess I was confused as that light is powered from two sources. One from the EFI main fuse and the other from the ecu, but I guess the EFI main is not in operation now anyway... Its been a minute since I was reading that schematic, I guess can get back to it soon now that mounts and stuff are in...
I just realized you removed a 3fe. I have ZERO knowledge of any 3fe specific factory harness, but I doubt the check engine light is any different.

With the 1fz, I interfaced everything that needed interfacing (cluster wise) at the connectors behind the glovebox. Including the CEL.

I just realized you removed a 3fe. I have ZERO knowledge of any 3fe specific factory harness, but I doubt the check engine light is any different.

With the 1fz, I interfaced everything that needed interfacing (cluster wise) at the connectors behind the glovebox. Including the CEL.
That’s where my connections are too and I have that CEL wire located, I’m excited to get to the point where I’m back to figuring out wiring.

Update. Wound up swapping out the muscle car oil pan for the Camaro oil pan.
Per recommendations here I sourced some firewall insulation. I chose some ceramic embedded paint that is supposed to reduce heat transfer, claims up to 30% reduction. Also got a transfer case attached to the transmission and it’s all in the truck. Which is pretty dang cool. Stoked.
F9588A8E-3856-4948-AC98-0A8A9FAEB444.jpeg
3A0BD044-C402-4FCA-B8CC-EFF5E0F343F8.jpeg
7AF9E4AC-0ECB-4A6C-AB94-0697C083BD28.jpeg

Stock check engine light is grounded, not powered, by the ecu. If the gm ecu is also designed to ground the cel then you're good to go, otherwise you simply add a relay to flip the signal

Thatcabledude gave some good advice in using the Gen IV waterpump as the water neck is a short straight stub and won't interfere much with the intake piping. I just swapped mine out. Swapping from a 3fe as well, mine is a 91. If you do decide to run the Gen IV waterpump, get the thermostat housing and thermostat. I thought the Gen III housing would fit but it doesn't, as well as the thermostat... different size.

Nice! Yeah I am planning on using the stock pump if it proves up to the task. My 5.3 is set up with injectors that are in the 38psi range and my pump is pretty new. Figured I’d just send it.
Gauges, I am using a Dakota digital obd 2 for the tach signal and check engine light (admittedly I haven’t got the check engine circuit fully sorted yet). Oil sendor from the 3fe adapted to the LS, most other sensors are similar. Speedo is driven off the transfer output shaft. Other things like gear selector lights will be addressed using the original neutral safety switch in parallel to Gm one.

I haven't seen anyone yet make the 91/92 tacho's work... they all had to find one from a 93-97. Some thing about it sends out a different signal than the 93-97.

Thatcabledude gave some good advice in using the Gen IV waterpump as the water neck is a short straight stub and won't interfere much with the intake piping. I just swapped mine out. Swapping from a 3fe as well, mine is a 91. If you do decide to run the Gen IV waterpump, get the thermostat housing and thermostat. I thought the Gen III housing would fit but it doesn't, as well as the thermostat... different size.
Good tip on the water pump.

Updates.... Plugging away at it...

A Wits End Water Temp Sensor for the OE gauge. Good firewall clearance, Also a pretty close shot of the Firewall paint, pretty cool product. It is embedded with fiberglass and ceramic.

0946C3AB-985F-4FD7-96F9-4B06520CEC69.jpeg

Been working my way from the firewall forward, basically the reverse of my disassembly, I still have to get a Gen IV water pump(anyone interested in a new GenIII? :rolleyes:) For that matter, I have a Muscle car oil pan(with windage/oil pick up) and a too short 2wd output shaft(Tho my transmission guy seemed to think it would still work in a TH400 but not sure why anyone here would be using that trans).

68E75DEB-F078-4794-A191-E352EF9FF8C3.jpeg

This was the only 1/2" 90 degree silicone heater hose I could find, Pegasus Auto Racing, seems like high quality stuff.

6FFC0096-DD06-4018-9115-B1409CE1BCD4.jpeg

Rear heater hoses and main heater hoses almost done, just the main lines to the water pump left, I'm not sure why I chose Silicone... seemed like a good idea at the time. Then I realized to finish this out in all silicone hoses is expensive. Get at me if you need some 1/2" or 5/8" black silicone heater hose, product availability forced me to buy 20ft of each, probably only need 4 ft. I guess it will out last the rest of the truck, I'm just not in a hurry to spend another $200 on the main radiator hoses, I will tho, OCD would never let me not. :meh:
0BF14747-7063-4E96-94AF-664A2B5856A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good 👍🏾. Coming along nicely. How much more you have left on your list to finish off? I just gotta finish off my shift cable bracket at the trans, exhaust, and a few odds-n-ends here and there. But should be driving it next month easily.

View attachment 2656786View attachment 2656787View attachment 2656788View attachment 2656789
Looking good 👍🏾. Coming along nicely. How much more you have left on your list to finish off? I just gotta finish off my shift cable bracket at the trans, exhaust, and a few odds-n-ends here and there. But should be driving it next month easily.
Having it driving in May is my goal too. My list is definitely longer than yours... I did get the trans/shifting sorted. I think so anyway. I'll get a photo of that today. I still have to sort out my fuel filter location, PS hoses, Computer mounting, exhaust, bump stops, rear pinion seal(while the drive shaft is off) check fitment of front driveshaft...its basically done, probably will just finish putting it self together... :hmm:

I just put my fuel filter right at the end of the fuel rail then ran my lines down to the frame where the hard lines are at that go back to the tank.

Yeah curious how you did your shift linkage. I was trying something different but it wasn't going to work so I had to order a new bracket and finish it up.

Aaaannnnnddddd we're back! For those that are curious, I also own/run/spin-plates-on-sticks a bicycle shop and around June, its busy. Also in June I bought a house. So then I spent the last 4months remodeling a house, and running a bike shop, and mostly just occasionally sitting in the drivers seat of my truck just to get some vibes from her.
When I last touched it, basically the weekend before the 4th of July I had completed 80% of the wiring, got a Mosely Motors PS hose, and had swapped out water pumps from Gen 3 to Gen 4. Built a whole bunch of mounts to attach PCM/fuse fuse block to Left hand side fender. Here's a few photos of those things.
IMG_2602.JPG
IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG
Gen 3/4 water pumps, the gen 4 has clearance on the backside for the cam phaser stuff I assume, and more imortantly a water outlet that does not interfere as easily with the Air intake.

Also this summer I picked up/traded a guy a 96 Tacoma, its a cool little 4x4 single cab with the 3.4L 5speed and a rear diff lock. Kind of a funny truck as it doesn't have AC or power anything, oh and it has 480k on the original motor. Luckily after that many miles most everything gets replaced, it drives better than most trucks with half that many miles.
IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG

Oh, and a I picked up basically the LandCruiser of motorcycles this fall, a 1992 BMW R100GS. The last series of air-cooled Beemers. Very cool.

IMG_3036.JPG

My shop starts winter hours on Monday and let me tell you I am stoked to be back to getting my truck on the road. Cheers y'all, Keep those wrenches turning!

Mason

Holly heck Mason. You have been busy. Good to see the LS swap moving forward. Cant wait to see the progress over the winter.

Your old 3FE and transmission is still running strong and bringing smiles!

Update: It runs! Been whittling away at it and finally got to the point where I can start it. Still has no exhaust, just manifolds, so its unbearably loud. But sounds awesome! FJ80 LM7 Startup .

I did gently drive it around the block but it is having a fuel delivery issue, or seems to, just starts to sputter like its running out of fuel, then dies. Will restart, but seems funny. Not sure what I got going on there yet... I wired the fuel pump via the old FP test connecter as it bypassed the Circuit opening relay, wonder if I need to just re wire it all the way to the pump? I didn't think it would draw that much more amps but maybe I am seeing a voltage drop at the pump? If you have any suggestions chime in. Here's a photo of it backed out of the shop on its own power tho, big win.
tempImageyAmJh8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom