3FE Timing Marks - Improved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hate the timing marks on the 3FE just like everyone else and also like all of us tractor engine owners, I want to take advantage of the benefits of increased spark advance. The trick with a half dozen mirrors :cool: to get at the marks on the flex plate ring gear just doesn't do it for me. Since the front of the cruiser is apart and my buddy has a CNC mill in his garage, I fashioned up a simple pointer tab and bolted it to the front engine cover and it overhangs the edge of the crankshaft pulley. I lined up the OEM timing marks and went underneath to centre punch the pulley at the tip of the pointer. So along comes the CNC mill and now I have timing marks that I can use. Yes I need to get under the front of the truck to use it but once it's set there's no need to do it again. Maybe not the best alternative but I think it'll work out for me. I'll keep you posted next month when I get to fire it up.
IMG_20200815_152848.jpg

Marks are at 0, 7, 10, 12.5, and 15 degrees
IMG_20200815_152811.jpg

This one shows the X-Y for each mark made with a 1/4" end mill. Each mark is about 0.70" wide
IMG_20200815_142909.jpg

IMG_20200815_142903.jpg

IMG_20200815_142857.jpg

Excellent idea.
Could I beg a favor of you, and ask for a photo of a cloth/soft tape measure wrapped around the pulley? I'd like to know the distance from the TDC mark over to the others.
I marked my TDC on the pulley with an awl, but didn't think to put further degrees, and yes this would be WAY easier than the damned window on the flywheel.

Excellent idea.
Could I beg a favor of you, and ask for a photo of a cloth/soft tape measure wrapped around the pulley? I'd like to know the distance from the TDC mark over to the others.
I marked my TDC on the pulley with an awl, but didn't think to put further degrees, and yes this would be WAY easier than the damned window on the flywheel.
I can do that this aft

Hi, Great idea. Did you make any extras? Thanks, Mike

Hi, Great idea. Did you make any extras? Thanks, Mike
Like most other 80 owners, I only have one pulley. 😎 The timing marks are relative to the pointer position. So make your own pointer and centre punch the pulley at TDC at the tip of the pointer. You can use the dimensions to find the next mark location, centre punch it at the tip of the pointer. Continue on and then remove the pulley and use a triangle file to make the lines at each centre punch location.

Excellent idea.
best three price band ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom