3FE timing advice needed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Set my timing yesterday and now it runs like crap. So I'll go back in tomorrow.

How do you guys with the 3FE find the silly timing marks? I got tired of standing on my head and loosened the bolts on the coolant lines for a better view.

Any suggestions on a better view? Anybody run different than stock? Mine was a bit advanced before but due to the lack of access I'm not sure how much.

Slam,
PM'ed ya. Take a look.

One other thing, I got no change in rpm or timing when I shorted TE1 and E1. Is this normal?

There is no good way to spy the mark. When we really need to find it we get 2 people; one out front looking directly toward the access hole and another turning the dist.

What I do: Warm it up get it to idle where it should then advance the dist and lock it off. Then drive it and try to get it to rattle. It takes a bit of trial and error but the goal is to get it advanced to just below the point where it will rattle. Variables will include gas, altitude, condition of motor, emissions crap etc.... Just turn it so the RPMs increase; you only have a small window of turn so you really cant go far enough to hurt anything on a test drive. A vac gauge will show an increase in vac as you advance and will usually hit a falling off point or a point where it no longer increases. You would initially set the timing just below this point for the initial road test.

The only time we fool with shorting the check connector and getting factory timing is when there is an emissions issue, new motor or we pulled the dist.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with the vacuum trick and it worked great. 75 uphill through the pass at 3.5 psi and I accidentally let it hit 85 coming home with no boost. It was running as well as it ever has if not better.

I used my mityvac guage and tied into one of the vacuum lines off the front of the manifold with about 5 ft of hose looped over to the passenger side. Full range the vacuum did not shift much. About 14.5 through most of the swing and about 2/3 of the distributor throw advanced I got a bit over 15". With a calibrated eye I'd say 15.2". Is this pretty typical?

I found the TDC double dot line as I was rotating it through manually but never found the 7 degree mark. Postings on the 60's boards indicate a BB but I never found it.
And yes, up front laying across the radiator peering through the managerie of hoses. It's a bugger twisting the distributor in that position and I ended up taping the switch on all the time for the timing light. Still no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom